Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbutrfly11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Can I sue my husband (we are separated)
    Can I sue my husband (we are separated) for money we owe on credit cards, we have some that are in my name and his (joint) and the rest are in my name acquired ONLY after we got married and came to the USA:mad:
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 09:54 AM

Are you legally separated or just informally separated? Also what state are you in? Those things make a huge difference.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 11:06 AM

Where you live is one issue, and again is there a formal separation agreement written and signed by a judge ? In general at this point you file for divorce and get the issues of who pays what settled by the divorce court
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 12:11 PM

In many States you cannot sue your spouse. If you are "only" separated, legally or not, that is still your spouse.

I am assuming that is NOT a legal separation or this issue would have been covered in the Separation Agreement.
    mbutrfly11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    Are you legally separated or just informally separated? Also what state are you in? Those things make a huge difference.

We were living in CA last year. He is a O/O Semi-truck driver and lives in MN. I am presently overseas but will be retuning end of this month to Boston, MA. No it is not a formal separation. He just split, and said business is bad and he can't afford me anymore!! (paying rent, bills, phones, food etc,) While he was on the road and home once every 3 weeks for 1-2 days, I was working in Home Depot, making min wage till they cut hours and let me go...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 12:29 PM

Then the answer is, no, you can't sue your husband.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 08:16 PM

That does simplify the situation. The answer is an easy no. Now, if you are to file for divorce then you can ask that some of those bills that are only in your name be paid by him as well as half of whatever is split between the two of you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Separated for more than 10 years [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I met and got married in Florida. We have been separated for 12 years. We have 1 son. She lives in Colorado and I live in Wisconsin. How do I file for a divorce.

Separated, but in love with my husband [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a huge problem(at least it seems like it to me). My husband said he wanted a divorce 10 months ago ( he said he wasn't ready for marriage then, even though we'd been married for 2.5 years), we've been separated ever since. I was shocked and thought I wouldn't be able to live without...

Husband (separated) in India causing problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was married nearly two years ago come this April. I am a american and the marriage took place in India. My issue is that this marriage on his part was his means to come to America. I have not seen him nor spoke verbally to him in over a year. With all letters that he sends the issue is the...

View more questions Search