Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FYE Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Floor Joist repair
    Hi, am currently in reno my recently purchased house and a lot of work is need. Right now some of you might know I am getting help in replacing the plumbing through out the house. In the pic below is where the floor joist was cut for piping. The floor joist that been cut through completely has drop 1/4 of an inch. I can access this from underneath and sister this joist up on both sides then have to drill a 3" hole for the abs toilet waste. IS this a good fix for this or do you recommend another method?

~FYE~

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 09:26 AM

What is under this room, seems a bit odd to have dimensional lumber nailed to the joists. It loooks like the next joist to the right has also been cut out, way out of code, lkiely done without a permit or inspection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain over floor joist [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new tub and wall unit and the new tubs drain lines up right over a floor joist. The old tub drain fit right down the side of the joist. There is about a 1.5" difference between the two tub drains. Any way to get around this without moving a floor joist?

Floor joist [ 3 Answers ]

would sistering a 2x6 onto a old 2x6 be as strong as a 2x10 that should have been used? 24" on centers 14' span

Drilling 2 x 10 floor joist [ 1 Answers ]

how far from the end of a 2 x 10 floor are you allowed to drill a 2" hole

Floor joist sizing, [ 6 Answers ]

I have sistered on 2 x 8's to my existing attic floor. It originally was framed with 2 x 4's and then 2 x 6's were sistered along to them. All the 2 x's are resting on the top plate. It feels sturdy enough to lay subflooring onto, but it is a twenty foot span. Will this be adequate?

Wood joist repair and termite damage [ 0 Answers ]

Hi,this is a two part question concerning home repair.My mom has had an under the home inspection.This is a 1 level 700 square feet home.There has been some termite infestation. The floor sagging depth is an 1 1/2 to the middle rear of home.Kitchen and adjacent bedroom is affected.The kitchen is...

View more questions Search