Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Feedandseed Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Floor joist sizing,
    I have sistered on 2 x 8's to my existing attic floor. It originally was framed with 2 x 4's and then 2 x 6's were sistered along to them. All the 2 x's are resting on the top plate. It feels sturdy enough to lay subflooring onto, but it is a twenty foot span. Will this be adequate?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 03:21 PM

I would say yes with a 3/4 plywood.But what supports the center of that span?

Is there a wall below this span?A post perhaps?

Back to you.

Dec 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
    There is no center supports for the span, this is above a garage. It does have a little flex, but I a little is not an issue. I am more concerned about putting a compressed bamboo flooring on it. Also the subflooring is 7/8'' tongue in grove chip board.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 04:09 PM

I take it you haven't pulled a building permit for this project?

What is the purpose of the floor being installed,is it for storage,or an apartment?

This is necessary to give you the proper advice.

KBC

Dec 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
    No permit. It's a small reading room above my garage. Barely any livable space in room to start (the roof is pitched). This will never be a "legal" space (ie no heat, undersized door, etc), just a small bit of extra dead space being uitilized.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 04:25 PM

Check.

This being the case,the sub-flooring might be just fine.I would be concerned about the deflection in the middle.

Maybe some more ideas will crop up tonight and/or others will have an idea or two.

I have paved the way for them to answer you!

KBC

Dec 5, 2008, 04:30 PM
    My worst case scenario involves to simspon brackets, a 2 x 8 running perpendiculiar underneathe (in the garage) and a lot of sinkers. Although the room may look like it was designed for a hobbit, I'd like to keep the fun house motif isolated to one room ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain over floor joist [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new tub and wall unit and the new tubs drain lines up right over a floor joist. The old tub drain fit right down the side of the joist. There is about a 1.5" difference between the two tub drains. Any way to get around this without moving a floor joist?

Guidelines for drilling a floor joist [ 29 Answers ]

We need to run some 12/2 Romex through the floor joists of a newly built home. Can we drill the floor joists wherever we see fit, or are there limits?

Drilling holes in floor joist [ 5 Answers ]

Hi ,I want to move a 3" abs ventpipe in a floor space. The floor joists are 2X10 and near the supporting wall .Can I drill the joist? Do I need to use plywood or 2X10 to sister the floor joist to make up for the weakening .thanks bman55golf

View more questions Search