Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    In a way, yes, it is extortion, but on the other hand, it does allow the guilty party to pay a fine (or whatever you might call it) and skate down the road
    Hi twink:

I LOVE Mexico. You can speed, get stopped by a cop, and pay the bribe.. If you want a particular license, you pay the bribe... Now, you can SAY the bribes are justified, because it does allow the guilty party to pay a "fine" and skate down the road...

But, it's CORRUPTION, and I don't care what you want to call it. Am I against corruption? Actually, no. I LIKE paying my fines on the spot. But, I don't pretend that it's anything other than what it is.

In the instant case, I maintain that to demand money in exchange for keeping silent about a crime, is nothing BUT extortion.

Some people seem to think my position has something to do with my name. NOTHING could be farther from the truth. I understand the cost of loss prevention. I PAY those costs along with you. I'm not a supporter of shoplifting, or any crime for that matter.

But, if there's a CRIME, the proper place to adjudicate it is in a REAL courtroom, where REAL restitution is ordered, and REAL fines are handed out. You DO notice in these letters, don't you, that the stores use MISLEADING language such as "restitution" and "fines", as though they really ARE restitution and fines?? This kind of language is used in an attempt to extort money, plain and simple.

Where does it stop? Let's say you catch a burglar in your house. Can you demand that he sign over his car or you'll call the cops?

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hi twink:

Where does it stop? Let's say you catch a burglar in your house. Can you demand that he sign over his car or you'll call the cops?

excon
    Now that's what I call a creative "citizen's arrest"!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extortion or not [ 3 Answers ]

Hello experts: If you shoplift and get caught, but the store tells you that if you pay a HUGE fine, they won't turn you in to the cops, is this extortion?? excon

Extortion of elderly? [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for all the great replys to my last post. A lot has happened since the post. And I will try to keep this short. My mother who I believe is suffering from early onset of alzimers, got into a fight with my 18yr old Wednesday, over horse blankets in the wash, she had my daughter pinned...

Was it Extortion? [ 2 Answers ]

My brother Ricki, saw a city situation on the door of a rented out trail that my mom owned and he peeked inside and saw the place in disarray. It broke through the door and took my son's guitars, amps, radios, VCR and Game boy and lots of other stuff and called me to tell me what my son had done...

Collections agency extortion [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I wrote a 31 dollar check to a pizza place. It bounced. It was sent directly to a collection agency. I did not know it bounced until I got my bank statement. I was told the merchant would not send it through again and it was now in the hands of a collections agency. 60 days...

View more questions Search