Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deerkillr8pt9pt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Tail lights not working
    My 96 sonomas tail lights won't work with the headlights on,but the brake lights do.also my turn signal on the drivers rear works but the passenger rear when used makes the left one come on in a "hazzard"style. I also have no backup lights.I have replaced all bulbs and don't know what else to try. Thanks for the helpp in advance
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 07:09 PM

. Test all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check/replace multi-function switch.

Oct 3, 2009, 07:12 PM

Where under the hood would they be? I've checked all the ones I could find and the ones under the dash . All good? Light switch problem maybe?

Oct 3, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Where under the hood would they be? I've checked all the ones I could find and the ones under the dash . All are good . Light switch problem maybe?
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 07:19 PM

Every car and truck has two fuse boxes. Follow the cables from the battery. Make sure you use a test light or multimeter and check for "power through the fuse." Visual inspections are "unsat." Be very thorough, since it will save a lot of time and money.

Oct 3, 2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks guess I better charge my flashlight now!
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 07:29 PM

Yes. Be very thorough.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 06:32 AM

At the rear of the vehicle, with a non-powered test light connected to a good clean ground point, check the tail light harness and sockets for power at the proper time: brake, turn, back-up.. These tail lamp 'plates' have been known to fail open, not allowing power to reach the bulbs.
    While in there, a close visual inspection of the socket terminals is in order. If the terminal tabs are corroded or damaged, replace both of the plates. Install new bulbs, but not the bulbs with plastic bases. It has been my experience that these bulbs fail far more frequently than glass-based bulbs.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 07:48 AM

Can't say for sure on this vehicle, but many have the signals from the signal head(signal switch), tail light from the head light switch and the backup from a transmission switch, may not apply here, but would test for a bad ground.
    Try connecting a wire from the battery ground or a good body ground and jump to the ground of 1 of the sockets.
    Any Trailer wiring?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tail light, dashboard lights, gear lights not working [ 11 Answers ]

My dashboard , tail lights are not working anymore and I can't figure out why. I gave my car to one of the mechanic and he could'nt figure it out as well. There was a tingy smell coming out of the car after lights went out as if something in the car got fried. Moreover, now he says that whenever he...

Tail Lights, Dash and Gear Lights not working (91 Ford Laser) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone here can help. My tail / dash / gear lights are not functioning. My brake and headlights are fine. I have done a little research on a few sites and found out that all 3 are connected to the same fuse, so I checked my fuses. But they look fine (kept reading about how to go...

1995 Ford Exploreer Tail Lights not working [ 2 Answers ]

My tail lights have stopped working on my 11995 Ford Explorer. The turn signals work and the headlights work. In looking at the manual there is no fuse listed for the taillights. Does anyone know which fuse is for the taillights?

92 Civic tail lights not working [ 1 Answers ]

My 92 Civic's tail lights are not working. It blows fuses constantly. New lenses were put in before I bought it which might be the problem or perhaps this is a common problem with them. Any ideas?

View more questions Search