Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 30, 2009, 10:48 PM
    2 License plates in NJ?
    Hello everyone! I just started driving and have been searching for cars and found one in PA that only has one area for a license plate. It's for the back of the car. Is it legal to have only one plate in New Jersey? I can't seem to find anything about it online.
    Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 09:32 AM

Where did you look? The DMV site says you must have TWO plates in NJ: "When you title and register a vehicle, the MVC will issue you two license plates: one for the front and one for the rear of the car. You will be issued one plate only for trailers, mopeds, and motorcycles.

The standard-issue plate is yellow with black lettering and displays the state's motto, "Garden State," across the bottom."

Oct 1, 2009, 10:22 AM

That sounds right. I knew they gave you 2 plates but I wasn't sure if you had to use both. I just did a Google search but most of the things that came up were for other states. Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 10:40 AM

No problem - it doesn't say anything about a special waiver for antique vehicles (if that's what you are thinking) so I would guess that's not possible.

Oct 2, 2009, 09:56 AM

I found out you can actually buy a mount for the plate for the front of the car if there isn't a place to screw it in. I thought the mount was supposed to be built in.. lol.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XOXOlove View Post
    i found out you can actually buy a mount for the plate for the front of the car if there isn't a place to screw it in. i thought the mount was supposed to be built in..lol.

Didn't realize you didn't know this!

Sure, you can buy license plate holders for cars that don't have front/rear holders provided.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 11:05 AM

Some new cars actually don't come with front license plate holders either. My boss leased a 2008 Jeep last year and had to have the front holder added.

Also, in states that only have one license plate in the back it's NOT a good idea to put another plate in the front from a different state. Lots of folks in Florida would have a Florida license plate in the back and a different state in the front. Now you can get a ticket for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I get a boat license plates? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. And I'm trying to find out where can I get license plates for boats. Or do you have to use your own license plate from your car for the trailer that holds the boat?

Commercial License Plates for Contractors [ 1 Answers ]

What are the benefits of commercial license plates for contractors other than being a tax right off as a business expense? Working in MA, I have been working with no signage on my truck with regular license plates but I heard that there may be additional benefits to having Commercial license...

Changing english plates to spanish plates [ 1 Answers ]

I'm moving back to spain and I want to take my fiat barchetta with me but I heard that you have to change the licience plates over. How would I do this and how much does it cost? Is there anything else I should know?

Old license plates [ 2 Answers ]

I have several old license plates and am not sure what to do with them. One of them is a plate that is no longer in use (ie the state switched to different plates) but the other two are still the same as the ones in use. I don't want to just throw them away- is it illegal to sell them at a flea...

View more questions Search