Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cvondrasek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Slow ceiling fan in any position
    I bought a house 2 years ago. The previous owner put all new fans in all the bedrooms (the same fan size and all) with the exception that the master bedroom fan has 2 switches one to turn on light the other to turn on the fan. Both work, but when I use the chain to switch speeds, fast is slow and the medium and low speed are ultra slow. The other fans in the other rooms spin as they are supposed to. Did they wire this one wrong? Is there not enough power to run them on individual switches? Or something wrong with the fan?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Does it also have a switch on the wall to control the fan? (or a remote)
    If they both are not together you can get this reaction

If you have a switch on the wall, try turning the fan (by pull chain to off) and the same with the switch on wall. Then turn on, so they are together.
    I hope that made sense :eek:
    It's happened to me and that solved the problem.:)
    cvondrasek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 05:25 PM

No remote, just 2 separate switches one to turn the light on and off and one to turn the fan on and off on the wall. To change the speed I have to pull the chain. Any thing else I can try. Like I said the other 3 fans in the house are identical except the other ones only have 1 wall switch on/off and use the chains for speed and light on and off.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Sorry, mine have a 3 switch on the wall also (besides the 3 switch pull chain) and I have a regular up/down toggle for the light. So 2 separate ways to controls the fan speeds.

I was just hoping for your sake that some one messed with the pull chain and didn't align it with the wall switch. It used to happen a lot at my house (with children and all) I would turn the fan on high and it would be on low. I had to change it a lot.

Hopefully some one will be along to help you more intensely.:)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 09:22 PM

If the wall switches are normal on-off switches, sounds like a bad capacitor.

What make is the fan?

Ceiling fan capactors - troubleshooting and resources - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NEW Ceiling fan VERY low light very slow fan! [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 new Harbor Breeze fans SPRINGFILED Model#294978 and with these fans I have two Harbor Breeze wal control switches Model #130622. I have run two brand new power lines right from the breaker box to these new fans! But the lights only glow like a dead flash light and the fans only go real...

Ceiling fan only works slow. [ 19 Answers ]

I live in a 2 year old house. The ceiling fan has quit working on any speed but low. I just changed the switch and nothing changed? Could the motor be bad already? It says it is a model AC-552 but no brand. It may be Hampton Bay. I can hear a low leval hum from it.

Ceiling fan is too slow [ 2 Answers ]

I have ceiling fan that is all the sudden running very slowly (it is about 5 years old, but I am the second owner on the home, so no owners manual). On the 'max' setting it appears to be on 'low' and on 'low' it barely spins. No pullchains. We use the wall switch exclusively --- on the switch we...

Ceiling Fan replacement SPTT 4 position, 4 wire pull chain switch [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need a replacement switch and capacitor for a ceiling fan for which I don't know the brand, the fan is marked with HMP-52, 86Amps, 120V, 85W. The 4 position, triple throw, 4 wire switch is a Zing Ear ZE-208S The capacitor is marked as an SK 4.5uF-U 250WV.AC, is rectangular in shape and...

I need a very slow ceiling fan speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Harbor Breeze 98120 ceiling fan. Is there a variable speed control that will run it very slow? I am doing an experiment and need 6 to 10 rpm. I have some electrical background.

View more questions Search