Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samwilliams33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Being asked to Move by Ex-Girlfriend
    Hello,
    I moved in with my ex-girlfriend about 3 months ago. I asked to rent her basement for 3 months. We never signed any agreements. Since my 3 months is about up she is now asking me to leave. I've had some difficulties during the 3 months which used all my cash.
    I need to know can I just be thrown out on the street or do I need to be evicted through the courts. I live in DeKalb County, Ga
    parkerbenson Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 07:43 AM

The term of your agreement is up, tough question, if I were you I'd move out and crash on a friend's couch... hit craigslist and look for couch surfing opportunities also. It might depend on whether your state treats and defines transient tenancies differently than normal tenancies, because your agreement was intended to be temporary, for a specific duration, she might be able to kick you out with police assistance, it can work that way in Florida depending on how the agreement was handled and the rental was licensed. If nothing is in writing, she could just say you are her ex-boyfriend and you are trespassing and harassing her. She could accuse you of assault and get you arrested. I'd get out of there unless she's nice enough to be nice to you.
    samwilliams33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 09:00 AM

parkerbenson,
    I want to move, but as I said some issues that came about during my 3 months exhausted cash such as Car breaking down etc.. I'm sure with a couple more weeks I'd be OK to move. You are correct I do want to get out as soon as possible to avoid any problems. Your reply is scary, can I be falsely accused?

Sep 25, 2009, 10:32 AM

I didn't mean to scare you, but a woman can always accuse you of anything; I had a friend who went through this, his wife threatened to file false charges against him to get him in trouble, he actually left his own home and lived at his mother's house until he gave her money to get her own place and got things smoothed over. Depending on your state's laws, it can be scary. If your ex is nice, just ask her if you can have a couple more weeks and try to work it out nicely, I don't have enough info to say whether she could call the police and get you kicked out, the rental agreement is your word against hers and it's her place; do you have cancelled checks for rent or did you pay her in cash.

Sep 25, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Marty Nemko: "ONE MILLION People Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence EACH YEAR"

It happens, I didn't mean to scare you though.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:52 PM

While she cannot just change the locks, she can go to court and have you legally evicted with little trouble or fanfare. By law she needs to serve you with 30 days notice (15 or 60 in some states... ) at which point she goes to court and files for eviction. You are then ordered out by the court and it is enforced by the local sheriff/magistrate/police department within a few days.

How adamantly does she want you out? Have you asked for a little more time?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fianc? Asked for space and asked me to move out. [ 11 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have one child together. She has a child with an ex. The child is autistic (found out this year). We have been fighting a lot because of the stress from therapy and all of his app. We have not been having sex a lot lately and not been getting along because she is having a hard time...

My girlfriend has asked for space [ 28 Answers ]

I met my girlfriend just after new year and we've officially been together two months. Its got more and more serious and this is something I was aware of but didn't really bother me too much, I enjoyed being with her. We've told each other we love each other after I held back even though I knew I...

How do I kick out a tenanat who I already asked to move out several times? [ 1 Answers ]

About one year ago I leased my house to an elder couple. We didn't make a contract but I told her my son wanted to get married and would probably just notify her when I needed the house. She was OK with this. Now on sept. 17, 2007 I asked her to start looking for a house because we would need the...

My Girlfriend asked for space [ 1 Answers ]

When I was in eigthgrade I became a very good friend of this girl, we always spoke to each other until the end of the year the next year we didn't spoke at all and then in 10th grade she came to me. I knew that she wanted something more than just friendship so asked her on a date and then asked her...

View more questions Search