Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retiredken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Shower strainer replacement
    I recently had a real clog and backup in my stall shower. I have a drain strainer with no screws. I read somewhere that there is a special plumbing tool that goes into the holes of the strainer to unscrew it. I hesitate because I don't want to compromise the seal(if there is one)

Or is it the type of strainer that can be just pried off. I want to be able to remove it in order to get a snake down there in the future.

If it can be pried off, how will I be able to re-install it? I would like to replace it with a screw on type, but there are probably no screw holes in which to screw into.

Thanks
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 18, 2009, 11:01 AM

Can you describe it, or send a pic of it?

There is only one strainer type device I know of that doesn't have a screw, so the resident plumbing guys here may have more ideas.

The one I know of is pushed in and can be easily popped off.

If you are referring to the part that sits low and actually looks more like cross bars, that is not a strainer, and that is taken off with a drain removal tool.

If you go into the hardware store or big box plumbing section, they can show you what your need.

(If it pops off, then it can be slid back in if it doesn't get bent)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Hi all:

I'm with cybereheater. It sounds like this strainer will just "POP" off with little issue.

Here, take a small flathead screwdriver and stick it in one of the holes in the strainer and see if you pry/pop one side up. Then pop the other side up and remove... should be that easy. It should just "pop" back in, too!

Let us know what happens...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Replacement with a Shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, we have an old house that had a clawfoot tub that drained into the wall about 6 inches above the floor. We now want to replace it with a shower. How do we get the drain problem figured out? We are on a slab foundation. Please any info will help!!

Removing shower drain for shower pan replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of removing an existing shower tray. I am having difficulty in removing the drain. It does not appear to screw in. I have access to from below if I need to cut pvc pipe. This appears to be the only thing keeping my tray in place at this time.

How to remove shower drain strainer? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having some trouble lately with a persistent drain odor coming from the shower drain in our master bathroom. I've been trying to remove the drain strainer so I can access and clean out the vertical drain pipe/ tailpiece, but I haven't had much luck. Since there are no screws for...

Shower Strainer - where to find [ 2 Answers ]

First time poster. Looking for a strong (brass?) shower strainer replacement. Original is 3-1/2" diameter with 2 screws 2-3/4" apart on center. Chrome finish. Bought a replacement at Orchard Supply Hardware - but the strainer dented the first time I stepped on it. Don't know the...

Replacement shower drain strainer [ 6 Answers ]

Our tiled in shower in the basement has a very rusty drain strainer (and rusty drain underneath it). I've looked for a replacement strainer, but none of them comes large enough to fit. The old strainer is 5 7/8 " in diameter. It has OLYMPIC stamped on it. Can I find a replacement? If not, do...

View more questions Search