Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zqueez Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 09:32 AM
    17 year old's rights
    Situation: (Fake names)
    1. Joe and Amanda are divorced with a 17-yr old daughter.
    2. Joe lives in California; Amanda lives in Washington. Their daughter, currently lives with Joe. Amanda has physical custody of the daughter.
    3. Joe is still paying for child support even though the daughter lives with him and his wife in California.
    4. The daughter needs to see the doctor/dentist asap.
    5. Joe and his wife do not qualify for welfare even though they were advised by Amanda (who now has 3 other kids from different fathers) to apply for welfare in California so Joe can apply for the daughter's medical insurance.
    6. Joe's wife is a nurse and has great coverage at the hospital where she works. She can add Joe's daughter on her coverage asap but Amanda doesn't want her to because she wants to claim her on her 2009 taxes!

Questions:
    1. How can the daughter get medical insurance without having welfare?
    2. What are the legal issues?
    3. Who can they contact?

Any help and suggestions will help us.

Thank you!
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 12:58 PM

Joe needs to go back to court and file for physical custody of the daughter. Then Joe's wife can add her to the insurance.

It's not right for Amanda to receive child support when she is doing nothing to support the child, nor for her to claim a child on her taxes unless she is allowed per the court order.

EDIT: You asked about this in April '08:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ml#post1008604
    Why is this taking so long to deal with? How is "Amanda" able to pursue her doctorate if her income is so low that she qualifies for welfare?
    zqueez Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 01:47 PM

This question is a totally different and separate question than the 16-year old issue. That question about the 16 year old has been solved. Thank you though.
    So now, going back to my original question, Joe's wife will add her on the medical insurance... the administrator at her work told her it's OK for her to do so. On the other hand, Amanda, emailed Joe's wife saying... "if Joe can not provide for her medical and dental insurance then the only option is to send her (their daughter) here so that I can provide for her." This girl does not work... she gets her support from her dad and her daughter doesn't want to stay with her anymore that's why she moved here.

Joe's wife said she will hire an attorney now because she wants to know what their rights are.

Thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2009, 04:33 PM

Whether this is a different situation or not, the answer is the same. Joe needs to have custody changed so that his wife can add her to his insurance.

Contact an attorney to file for custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 4 year old's father isn't around, how do I tell her why? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was born in 2002 and from the start her father wanted nothing to do with us because he felt as though she was not his. In 2003 I met this great guy who accepted me and my daughter with open arms. We recently ended our relationship in the summer of 2006 which is also the time when I...

My 3 year old's grandmother must not have visitation [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 year old's grandmother must not have visitation. She recently filed here in New York city. If this makes it to court, what steps should I take to prevent this from happening? What should I bring up in court to stop her. Notes.. my sons mother is not deceased and is in agreement with me,...

My 12 year old's behavior.Lying specifically [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old daughter that loves to stay on the cell phone, well text really, and she lies constantly and is very sneaky. I have preached till I don't know whatelse to do. I have her in Church and have explained that she needs to focus on school, not boys... Help:eek:

How to handle an absent parent hurting a 2 year old's feelings? [ 3 Answers ]

Situation as follows: My ex (we never married) ignored me most of my pregnancy, had little to do with my son, was emotionally and verbally abusive, and I finally left. In the nasty custody battle that ensued, he actually got violent, threatening, and abducted our son when he was 15 months old...

7 year old's baby tooth is loose but turning black [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 year old has a loose front tooth that is turning black. Is this normal? Thanks.

View more questions Search