Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    senorcabo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Leaky toilet
    Our upstairs toilet has developed a leak that is causing water to come through the ceiling. It only happens when the toilet is flushed. Where is the leak originating from?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 05:37 PM

Most likely a wax ring failure, any water dripping from the rubber gasket between the tank and toilet, or anywhere else? If no water is seen upstairs but leak is showing downstairs I'd venture to guess time to replace the ring. How to Replace a Toilet's Wax Ring | eHow.com
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 05:56 PM

Bob is 100% correct. And great site also for changing wax ring. I would only add that you should flush toilet till tank is nearly empty, then plung any water you can out of the bowl, then use a spong to remove any water that is left in the tank and bowl. This way, you will have no chance of water spilling when you lay toilet over to clean bottom of toilet. Ive seen to many times when people don't take the time to spong out all the water and will make one heck of a water mess on the floor when moving toilet. It takes less than a minute to completely spong a toilet dry.(a shop vac works well for this too,)
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 14, 2009, 05:44 AM

Get another person to help you move that toilet and tank all at once and set the toilet on a piece of cardboard, or something similar.

At least is sounds like it's only the wax ring, which is a straight forward fix.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2009, 05:56 AM
    You have a ruptured wax seal that must be replaced.
    Cyberheater said, "
    set the toilet on a piece of cardboard, or something similar.
    " and that's the correct way to place a toilet after it's been pulled.
    Follow MGD77 advice about clearing out the tank and bowl but don't lay the toilet on its side. Leave it upright on a piece of cardboard. The reason being is that there's still a gallon of water hidden in the trap of the bowl that will come spilling out on the floor if it's laid over. About the only time I lay a toilet on its side is if I have to go in from the bottom to remove a object that's been dropped into it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky Toilet Caulking & Wax Ring [ 4 Answers ]

Our toilet caulking keeps pulling away from the toilet with wax spreading next to the caulking. The toilet has been reset with a new ring, but it has happened again. Any ideas why?

Leaky toilet base [ 8 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, I see a little water shoot out of the seal at the base, not much but is it just a bad seal around the ring? Thanks. Jb

Leaky toilet turn-off valve [ 3 Answers ]

How do I fix a leaky turn-off valve for the toilet ?

Leaky Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

On the floor around my toilet, there is sometimes a very small amount of water (seems like it goes from the back TO the front). I don't think it's the wax seal. I thought perhaps the tank was leaking from the flushing part that exits the tank because I felt dampness under the tank. But after...

Help -- Leaky stem on toilet supply line! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I are DIY newbies. We just attempted to replace a 70 year old leaky toilet in time for 1st holiday fam visit only to incur new problems. For one, the water supply stem is leaking (right around where knob connects to the stem)! Never done this before. To boot, the tank to our...

View more questions Search