Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbasso Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Leaky toilet base
    When I flush the toilet, I see a little water shoot out of the seal at the base, not much but is it just a bad seal around the ring?

Thanks.

Jb
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 06:13 PM

This could be a bad seal under the commode or it could be a bad flange, take the commode up, clean the flange and look for anything wrong with the flange. Then reset the commode and see if it leaks, it could be a very simple problem.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 07:00 PM

First thing. Shut-off the water supply. Usually there's a valve on the left side of the toilet near the floor.

Remove the tank cover, and store it in a safe place away from you so that you don't step on it. Tank covers are easy to break and hard to replace.

Drain the tank by flushing the toilet. Use a rag to sponge the remaining water out of the tank. Do the same with the toilet bowl using a cup to scoop out the water and a rag to sponge out the remaining water.

Disconnect the supply tubing at the tank. The supply tubing is connected to the water supply valve and to the bottom of the toilet tank. Unscrew the slip-nut at the tank and let the tubing lay connected to the valve.

There are two bolts at the bottom holding the toilet bowl down to the floor. If there are caps on the bolts, just pop them off with a screwdriver. Remove the nuts and washers on the bolts.

Closet bolts (as in Water Closet), washers, nuts and decorative caps.

Try to take the toilet off in one piece. But if it's too heavy, you'll have to take the tank off the toilet first.

To remove the toilet: Using both hands hold the back of the bowl and lift straight up. Then, carefully carry it away from the waste pipe and flange. A little water may spill from the toilet so have a mop and extra rags nearby.

Remove the old bowl wax. It will be on the bottom of the toilet or on the floor flange. Use a putty knife to scrape-off the old wax, or putty, and clean the floor flange and the bottom of the toilet. (Some plumbers use putty instead of bowl wax.)

Examine the floor flange. Remove the old bolts. If the flange is loose tighten the screws that attach it to the floor.

To reinstall a toilet, or to install a new toilet, you are going to need new closet bolts, washers, and nuts, and a bowl wax. You can get these at your local hardware store. The hardware clerk will help you find the ones you need for your toilet, although, most toilets use standard items.

Place the bowl wax on the floor flange. Some say to put it on the toilet bowl, but I like putting it on the floor flange. Install the new toilet bolts, one on each side of the flange, and position them across from each other at the center.

Pick up the toilet and set it on the bowl wax on the flange. Sit on the toilet and rock it side to side, slightly, just enough to make sure the toilet is sitting on the wax. The bolts should be through the holes at the base of the toilet.

Put the washers on the bolts, then the nuts. Begin tightening the nuts. Go to one side then to the other, go back and forth, slightly tightening each nut. By tightening the nuts equally, (a little on each side, one at a time) the toilet will seat evenly and level, and won't wobble later. Keep tighten, but don't tighten too much or you will crack the bowl. Don't use a big wrench; use a small crescent wrench or adjustable pliers.

You are almost done connect the water supply tubing, back on to the toilet tank.

Now you are ready to give it a test run. Turn the water back on and let the tank fill. Then, flush the toilet and begin checking for leaks. If you should see any water leaking, you will have to determine where the water is coming from. You still have the decorative caps, pop them on. They snap on to the washers under the nuts.
    When we caulk the bowl we use Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk. Its water soluble and
    Cleans up real easy. Apply caulking around the base of the bowl we use Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk, good luck.

John

Sep 22, 2008, 04:45 PM
    It looks like the tile floor led to separation from the flange, how many wax rings can one use to make a tight seal, looks like I'll need at least two... thanks

Jb
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 05:08 PM
    You need to tell us how the height of the tile floor compares with the height of the flange top surface. Are they flush to each other or just the thickness of the flange apart, no extra ring needed for this situation.

Sep 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
    I think they were about 1/2" apart... thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 06:10 PM
    We need better terminolgy here. Is the floor surface flush with the flange top surface, yes/no. Is the flange surface even with the underside of the tile. Yes/no?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 06:57 PM

You don't need extra wax rings as Bob says, just tell us exactly how your flange is flush, above or under the tile, Thanks.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 07:47 PM

Just want to agree with previous posts: Reset your toilet on new wax ring. Wax should be about 1" higher than finished floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet leaks at base? [ 10 Answers ]

Unfortunately I have carpeting in my bathroom, which will probably come up tomorrow, BUT my problem is that for some reason, the rug is soaking wet in front of the toilet. About 4 inches in front of the base, the rug is wet roughly 2.5 feet x .5 feet. Is it possible that the wax ring is leaking, or...

Leaky toilet turn-off valve [ 3 Answers ]

How do I fix a leaky turn-off valve for the toilet ?

Leaky toilet water supply valve [ 2 Answers ]

The water supply valve on my toilet is leaking right at the knob to turn the water on/off. Can I fix this or do I need a plumber?

New toilet leaks around base [ 3 Answers ]

I just finished replacing the floor in a bathroom with tile (previously was vinyl). I added a flange extension to the toilet flange to raise it due to the higher floor height of the tile.\ I have set a brand new toilet twice now and both time it has leaked around the base. When I pull the...

Leaky Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

On the floor around my toilet, there is sometimes a very small amount of water (seems like it goes from the back TO the front). I don't think it's the wax seal. I thought perhaps the tank was leaking from the flushing part that exits the tank because I felt dampness under the tank. But after...

View more questions Search