Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stephen Allen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Adoption
    Hi my name is Stephen I was born in Launceston in 1957 I was adopted two years later.
    All my life I have woundered who I am and where I belong, am married with two grown up children, I no very little about my family I have regestered with a adoption site but not much luck dose any one else out there have the same thoughts about who they are where they came from why they where given up for adoption and then nothing no one came looking for them .
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 06:08 AM

In the 1950s, it was SHAMEFUL to have a child out of wedlock. Most women who did, chose adoption because it was a way to move on with their lives without everyone knowing their shame.

Most of those women never told ANYONE they were pregnant. They certainly didn't tell anyone that they'd had a child that was placed for adoption, either.

I know a woman who placed her son for adoption in 1960. She has no regrets, but her husband and children don't know about the child she placed. She has absolutely NO interest in having that child come back and "disrupt" her life. Her opinion is that she gave her son a family, and he shouldn't need her.

She left medical information at the adoption agency and at the courthouse where the adoption was finalized, and figures she's done her duty to that child.

If you've contacted the adoption agency, the courthouse, and have registered on reunion websites (like adoption.com, adoption.org, and ISRR), and have had no luck, your next option would probably be a private detective.

However--your birthmother may not WANT contact. I suggest seeing a counselor to work out exactly what it is you hope to gain from meeting this woman.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 06:11 AM
    I have a family member who went through this recently. She was born in 1962. She did find her birthmother and it ended up pretty ugly for the reasons Synnen stated above. Without getting into too much personal info... this has really had an impact on said family member... not in a nice way.

Sometimes it's better to just be thankful for the parents that we DO have, the ones who raised us and gave us a better life than what could have been. Sometimes it's best to just leave that door closed.
    casttostrangers Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Launceston as in Australia? If so try these maybe they'll point you in the right direction
    Australia Adoption Registry
    32 International Adoption Search Info: Australia
    Adoption, Search & Reunion
    I searched and reunited with my Bmom,Bdad and 2 older siblings. I was #4 of 6.
    Is it perfect? Nope 4 of my sibs wish no contact with me. But knowing is sooo much better than not knowing for me.
    Good luck in your search!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2009, 07:59 PM

Here is my position on this. While I understand the needs of an adoptee toi know his biological family, I also understand the needs of the bio parent to have their privacy.

Adoptees and their bio parents have an advantage these days because the Internet has provided an meeting place where both can post their details in the hopes of hooking up.

The key here is that this is all voluntary. Bio parents who WANT to be found can show their desire. Adoptees who WANT to connect can post their info. But I would not advise an adoptee to go to extraordinary means, like hiring a PI to invade on the privacy of a bio parent who does not want such contact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to open adoption records on closed adoption [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for my son I keep hitting roadblocks today I found out it was a closed adoption I need to know how to get these records opened

Is this adoption right for her [ 3 Answers ]

I want my daughters birth father to sign over his rights so my husband can adopt her. She has no idea who her birth father is. My question is should I make this move and will it be healthy for my daughter in the long run.

Laws for adoption and child support after adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he...

Adoption Law [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone with a criminal backgroung adopt a child?

Adoption [ 8 Answers ]

My father adopted my son so my son's biological father could walk away. I promised I would never cost my Dad anything and I haven't. My father is getting Social Security now and I am receiving a check also because of the adoption. How can I stop it. My other siblings are upset with me getting a...

View more questions Search