Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adrobin35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 12:23 PM
    If Your Spouse Loses a Job, Can You Take Out Your 401K?
    I lost my job and I'm wondering can my spouse take out his 401K since I was the one who brought in the most income?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 02:05 PM

I believe you can take it out but it will have all the tax, penalties and any other deductions stated in the plan
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Greetings and WELCOME to the site, adrobin35!

I moved your question out of Introductions to this forum topic area so that it will be more likely to be noticed and addressed by those who are best able to answer it. Your question will get noticed much more here.

Introductions is for people to introduce themselves only, and we try to not ask questions there. We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little bit about yourself, if you would be willing to do that.

I do note, that your question already received a response while it was in Introductions.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2009, 06:22 AM

Whether he can withdraw money from his 401(k) depends on his plan provisions. Not all plans permit in service withdrawals.

But if his plan does allow them, I would advise against doing it. The tax and penalties would cut too deeply into your savings to make it worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do with 401K of a deceased spouse [ 5 Answers ]

My husband passed away earlier this year at the age of 44. Since I am also not of retirement age, I am wondering what to do with his 401K. Can I put it into secured CD's or do I have to roll it over into an IRA? I need this money to be in a safe investment for my retirement.

Non spouse beneficiary of 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am the beneficiary of my fathers 401k. I am told there is something called a qualified disclaimer that I can do so that the 401k can be put in the estate account and split with my siblings, is there such a disclaimer and how would I go about doing this? If I do this will I be responsible for...

When is a spouse able to take half of one's 401K? [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Tennessee how long does a couple have to be married before the wife is able to obtain one-half of the husband's 401K? Is there a time limit?

401k withdrawal if spouse is 59 and 1/2 [ 1 Answers ]

Does the IRS waive the withdrawal penalty if the spouse of the holder of the 401k is 59 1/2 and the holder is not, if a joint return is filed?

View more questions Search