Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Disney Dude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Dual motor starting capacitor
    I recently purchased a used Craftsman air compressor. It was bought at a yard sale, and the man said he it did not run, and has not been tested. I brought it home, plugged it in, and it ran fine for several days. I drained the air out of it to open the valve and drain the moisture out of the tank, and when I turned it back on, the motor would just barely run. It would run for about 8-10 seconds, then trip the circuit breaker to the electrical line it was plugged into. The motor appeared to never get to running at full speed because the compressor never did get 'loud' like it did when it was actually working. I took the shroud off, and checked around. I am not an electrician, but my guess is that it is the starting capacitor that is on the motor gone bad. I have checked around, and found that the EXACT one is around $50, and I am not willing to pay that. I have found one on eBay for $5, but it is a "Dual Motor Run Capacitor". All of the numbers match "30+5mf 370volt Round Oil Filled Dual Rated Motor Run Capacitor", but the only difference is the top which has 3 plugs, and mine has only two plugs.

Can anyone tell me if this will work? Thanks in advance for any reply. :)
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 06:53 AM

Hi,
    It is not clear; plugs or prongs on the plug?
    The critical specs, the capacitance (I assume the "mf" mean microFarads since Greek alphabet takes a bit of a trick here) and the voltage is the one at which the capacitor would be damaged or destroy if exceeded.
    It would work if you can ascertain the correct connection.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS Done with
    HTML Code:
    µ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Fan Motor, capacitor, or what? [ 9 Answers ]

I had the fan motor of my outdoor AC unit replaced about 5 years ago, it has an AO Smith mod F48K92A01 which I found online for about $65 but want to make sure it is not possibly the capacitor or something else first. I caught the unit having the fan hitting the splicer near the top, clank,...

Dual run capacitor(3 terminals).or is single run capacitor(2 terminals) OK? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I have an older Amana HVAC system in my home. Home is 6yrs old. It Appears that my condenser unit was struck by lightning because one of the 3 terminals on the dual run capacitor was blown/melted and all the wires connected to the dual run capacitor were fried (It did storm the...

Dual capacitor to two capacitors wiring [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to chang my fan motor and the new motor calls for a different capacitor... the wiring is obviously different. I took the old wires off the old capacitor and wired in the new capacitor as directed on the new motor. Leaving the old one just for the compressor wired the same as it was. The...

Tempstar dual capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced my motor on my outdoor unit but can't remember how the wiring goes back to dual capacitor, I have three wires, brown with red mark, red and white. Which goes to common and fan and which terminal does the other wire go to?

View more questions Search