Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristin33r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Bee paying NYC resident tax but not NYC resident
    My employer has been deducting New York City taxes from my paycheck since 2004 and I have not been a NYC resident since 2003. I have recently cleared up the issue with my employer, however they would only refund me for this years NYC tax deductions. I assume that I need to file a New York State amendment. Do I also have to file a federal amendment as well? Is there an easier way to go about this? :confused: Thank you in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 10:58 AM
    You need only file amendments to your NY state return to get the NYC taxes refunded.

However, it is TOO LATE for 2004 and 2005. Most states (NY state among them) honor the same three-year statute of limitation that the IRS imposes for claiming refunds, which means you have until 15 April 2010 to claim the refunds for the 2006 tax return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 11:29 AM

Please clarify something - when you filed your NY State income tax returns did you report that both NY State and NY City tax had been withheld? Both the NY State and NY City withheld amounts are shown on your W-2 form each year, so hopefully you reported both numbers on your return. See the attached instructions - I'm asking about the entry you made (or should have made) on line 47 (see page 28 of the instructions). Now, since both the NYS and NYC taxes are calculated on a single tax return, if you properly reported the amounts of both state and city taxes that were withheld, then you're OK - the amounts withheld for both NYC and NYS withholding would have gone to pay just the NY State tax you actually owed. If this is what you did then all is well and there is no need to file amended returns.

However, if you did not report any NY City tax withheld on line 47, then you should file amended returns as ATE suggests. You'll have to include copies of your old W-2's to document that there was NYC withholding that you did not include on your original returns.

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/2008/..._201i_2008.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident or Non Resident for MA State? As F1 Visa/OPT - I Am Non Resident for Federal [ 3 Answers ]

I have spent all my days in MA, USA for the year 2008 and about 4 months in 2007. For federal, I agree that I am a non-resident alien with respect to my visa status (F1/OPT). But how about STATE TAX? Am I a resident of MA State?? I came to know that, VISA status willplay a factor for federal...

Dual Resident paying taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I work in New York and live there 5 out of 7 days a week. I also own a home in PA and pay property taxes and live there the remainder of the week. I pay NYC Residency taxes as well. My tax person--who used to work for IRS say I have "dual residency." Can I be registered to vote in both...

Any advantage to paying non-resident NY state tax? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in NYC with my mom and just recently secured a job in NYC. I have the option in using my dad's NJ address on my employment records. Is there a huge advantage and savings in doing this, understanding that I will have to pay both NJ state resident income tax and also NY state nonresident...

Nj resident paying NY State tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a NJ resident who works in NY City. I received a payout from my mother's 401k after she passed away. I list that on my federal income when filling out my NY State Tax return. When Ny State calcluates my taxes they are taxing me on more income than I made from my job in NYC, it seems that...

View more questions Search