Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rordonez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Are step children eligible for child support.
    If a child has been supported by step parent and parent, are they eligible for child support if parents get divorced after 15 years.
    frostybabygurl Posts: 117, Reputation: 6

Aug 15, 2009, 10:27 PM
    From what I understand a step child is eligible to receive child support. The laws are different depending on where you live. I know that some courts will look at it like if you had no problem supporting them for x amount of time and you basically considered them to your own child then you would be responsible for them. Look up family law for wherever you live, that should help you out.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 10:52 PM

We need more information.

My daughter gets child support from her biological father.

If I were to divorce my husband (who is my child's step father) HE WOULD NOT pay child support as well.

However, if the child's step father adopted your child, and the parental rights from the child's biological parent ware terminated, then yes, the child's step parent (who is now the child's adoptive parent) is financially responsible and will pay child support.

Please let us know the situation :)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 10:53 PM
    And if paternity has not been established before, then you don't get child support from anyone until you establish that paternity. The BIOLOGICAL father is financially responsible first until a court order says other wise.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 04:12 AM

In Canada, I believe the answer is yes. In the US, the answer is no... the step parent is not required to pay child support except in isolated cases.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    In Canada, I believe the answer is yes. In the US, the answer is no... the step parent is not required to pay child support except in isolated cases.
    Also as far as Canada is concerned you won't receive support from a step parent unless special circumstances are met. Mainly the bio parent isn't paying the required support for the child. Then the step could be charged with making up the difference.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 08:56 AM

We will need to know your location first. Because as said if you are living in the U.S. the answer is no. The step parent is not the legal parent and bears no legal responsibility toward the child/children. However, if that step parent had adopted the child/ren then that parent would no longer be a step parent but the legal parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step-Father Signed both Prenup and Postnup Agreements to Support Step-Child [ 6 Answers ]

My husband signed both a prenuptial and a post-nuptial agreement to educate, maintain and support my children, his step-children. My husband sued me and my children (his step-children) over the agreements several years back but changed his mind and signed a release of all claims, an agreed...

Can I be sued for child support for a step child according to NY state law? [ 6 Answers ]

Do I have to pay child support for a step child according to NY state law? :(

Does a step father pay child support. [ 13 Answers ]

My wife wants to end our marriage and has a 13 year old daughter living with us of whome I have had no relationship and or allowed to have a say in her journey to adulthood. My wife gets child support from the real father, so do I still pay child support after our marriage is over.

Can a step-parent be forced to pay child support for their spouses child? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend's husband has a child from a previous relationship that she just recently found out about. He has no relationship with this child but has been paying child support for the past 2 1/2 yrs. The child is presently 6yrs old. She has heard through a someone that knows the mother of the...

Step parent child support? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am married and live in Michigan with my wife and her 2 children from a prior marriage and 1 of our own. Her ex-husband refuses to pay her child support and as soon as the order went through for child support 9 years ago, quit his job and became "self-employed". He is currently going...

View more questions Search