Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjones10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Can I be sued for child support for a step child according to NY state law?
    Do I have to pay child support for a step child according to NY state law? :(
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 10:20 AM

Are you married to the parent and paying it to his/her ex or are you talking about separating from the parent and having to pay to him.her.

If the latter, no. If the former... not exactly, but its possible your income is factored into what your spouse owes. I'd have to look up specific NY laws.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 11:37 AM

Like steve pointed out, we need to know what your exact situation is before we can give you an accurate answer.

Jun 10, 2009, 06:49 AM
    We are no longer together we've been living separately for over 1 yr now and I have never paid any child support for his child I did however file my 2008 income tax as married filing separately because I was still paying for his health coverage for the entire year of 2008.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjones10 View Post
    We are no longer together we've been living separately for over 1 yr now and I have never paid any child support for his child I did however file my 2008 income tax as married filing separately because I was still paying for his health coverage for the entire year of 2008.
    Im still confused as to the step child to you relation.

Does your ex have a child with another woman? If so, you don't owe support.

Jun 10, 2009, 03:00 PM

Thank you so much for your help!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 04:33 PM

Please take a moment to explain the "step" situation, so you can get a better answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a step father pay child support. [ 13 Answers ]

My wife wants to end our marriage and has a 13 year old daughter living with us of whome I have had no relationship and or allowed to have a say in her journey to adulthood. My wife gets child support from the real father, so do I still pay child support after our marriage is over.

Can a step-parent be forced to pay child support for their spouses child? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend's husband has a child from a previous relationship that she just recently found out about. He has no relationship with this child but has been paying child support for the past 2 1/2 yrs. The child is presently 6yrs old. She has heard through a someone that knows the mother of the...

Does a step parent have to pay support for a child that is not his? [ 20 Answers ]

Canada laws please... Ihave custody of my daughter and she has chosen to go live with her father.. she is 13... I have remarried 7 years ago.. I don't work and have two more children to my husband. My ex wants to go to court and get support payments from my husband.. can he do this? :mad: So I...

Step parent child support? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am married and live in Michigan with my wife and her 2 children from a prior marriage and 1 of our own. Her ex-husband refuses to pay her child support and as soon as the order went through for child support 9 years ago, quit his job and became "self-employed". He is currently going...

Sued for child support after 15 years... [ 4 Answers ]

I got divorced 13 years ago when my son was 2yrs old. We agreed on no child support/alimony (married for less than 2 yrs). She is legally the custodial parent even though we have 50/50 custody (offsetting weeks). I actually have him more than 50% of the time as she often asks me to have him here...

View more questions Search