Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveonly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 07:43 AM
    Who pays the taxes?
    I am considering applying for a hardship disbursement of my 401k funds to be used as a cash settlement for my divorce. Do I pay taxes on this, does my wife or do both of us pay?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 01:19 PM

You are getting the money (regardless if you are giving it away) so you pay the taxes.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daveonly View Post
    I am considering applying for a hardship disbursement of my 401k funds to be used as a cash settlement for my divorce. Do I pay taxes on this, does my wife or do both of us pay?
    You both should pay the taxes if it's marital (community) property. That, assuming there is no other agreement to the contrary. But hold the phone. Why are you paying an equalizing payment out of a 401(k)? You NEVER want to do that as some kind of cash withdrawal that will trigger taxes and penalties. Just propose a division of the account sufficient to fund the equalizing payment with a QDRO. Her share gets rolled over into an IRA. No taxes for you, no penalties. She avoids the penalties and can access the funds after she pays the taxes on the share she gets. If you owe her a certain net, then simply "gross-up" (as we call it) the amount you are paying her to cover the taxes. It's easier that way.

You need some legal advice on this because it sounds like you are going about this in the WRONG way. Don't make a costly mistake.
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2009, 05:38 PM

As a tax professional, if you take a distribution from your 401K before you reach the retirement age set by your company then you will have to pay taxes and penalty for early distribution.

It is almost certain that the judge will award 50% of your 401K to your wife unless she is a total very bad woman, even in that case they do especially if there arechildren involved.

If judge does this then her 1/2 is her tax liability unless she rolls it over into another retirement plan within 60 days. You will not have to pay any taxes or penalty of what judge gives her.

Why don't you make a loan against your 401K? That way no taxes or penalty involved.;

A divorce is not a hardship under 401k or IRA rules.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 15, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
    As a tax professional, if you take a distribution from your 401K before you reach the retirement age set by your company then you will have to pay taxes and penalty for early distribution.

It is almost certain that the judge will award 50% of your 401K to your wife unless she is a total very bad woman, even in that case they do especially if there arechildren involved.

If judge does this then her 1/2 is her tax liability unless she rolls it over into another retirement plan within 60 days. You will not have to pay any taxes or penalty of what judge gives her.

Why don't you make a loan against your 401K? That way no taxes or penalty involved.;

A divorce is not a hardship under 401k or IRA rules.
    Careful when you say how certain you are of a distribution when it comes to divorce. There are so many variables and in this case there is not enough information to go on to make any kind of statement like that. Just be aware that the laws vary so much between states and also when the contributions started vs the length of marriage its all up in the air until its in front of a judge and settled.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2009, 10:01 AM

401(k)s are treated a bit differently in a divorce. This article gives a brief explanation.

How divorce hits your 401(k) - MSN Money

I suggest doing more research on QDROs.

Aug 15, 2009, 10:33 AM

All and good BUT the IRS rules superceed any court rulings in a divorce.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
    all and good BUT the IRS rules superceed any court rulings in a divorce.
    But QDROs are PART of the IRS rules and recognized by the IRS. See:
    FAQs About Qualified Domestic Relations Orders

I'm surprised that "as a tax professional", you are not aware of QDROs.

Aug 15, 2009, 06:08 PM

I am familiar with qualified domestic relations orders. What I said or meant to imply that any order from state/county court that is contrary to IRS rules will be overruled by IRS.

Aug 15, 2009, 07:02 PM

Quote from IRS Publication 17 concerning my statement about rollover and taxes on retirement distributions in relation to divorce.

You may be able to roll over tax free all of part of a distribvution from a qualified retirement plan that you receive under a QDRO. If you receive the distribution as a employee's spouse or former spouse (not as a nonspousal beneficiary), the rollover rules apply to you AS IF YOU WERE THE EMPLOYEE. You can roll over the diwstribution from the plan into a traditional IRA or to another eligible retirement plan.

Unquote/

So she pays taxex and penalty (according to the plan) if she chooses not to roll it over or open up a qualified retirement plan within 60 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

Trust is Beneficiary. Who pays the taxes on Annuity interest? [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother died in 2007 and had a simple Trust. She had a total of five annuities. Two went directly to my sister and I as 50/50 beneficiaries. The other three went into the trust to maintain the home/property until it sells. My sister and I were both issued 1099-I for the money we received from...

Who pays? [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the same apartment for 6 years in PA. I wish to have my carpets profesionaly cleaned. They have not been cleaned since I moved in or before hand. Who should pay the bill, me or the landlord?

Resident or Non-Resident Alien - which pays less taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I left the US in August after 6 year there. According to Publication 519 it looks like I can make a case for being either a residetn alien or non-resident alien. Which would be more advantageous, i.e. result in less tax owed? Cheers.

Who pays [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter and soon to be son in law are planning their wedding in Oct... so far they only want the parents to help as little as possible... Fine... but I was recently asked... being that they are paying for a great deal of their own wedding... what is the ettiquette on out of town guest and who...

View more questions Search