Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ci_98yr Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Shower leak -mysterious
    Hello All,

When someone takes a shower in our upstair bathroom (directly above our
    Kitchen downstairs), I hear water drops hitting the ceiling of the kitchen, very
    Slowly but steadily ( 1 drop hitting the ceiling ~30-45 secs). I don't see any
    Wetness on the ceiling from the downstair kitchen, but I know for sure that when
    Someone takes shower, somewhere there's a leak.

Can some plumbing gurus advise me on this? I would like to do some
    Diagnostics before engaging a proper plumber..

Thanks a bunch in advance,

-CI
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 05:10 AM
    You've got to get to where you can see that tub drain. There might be an access panel to it either behind the short wall that the head (where the faucet and drain are) of your tub... or in a ceiling below it.

Run the tub and shine a flashlight back there to see exactly where it's coming from.

If you don't have an access panel - or can't see well enough at the one you have, then the next best option is to cut an access hole in the ceiling below it.

Even a plumber would have to do all of the above...

Check Lowes/HomeDepot before you do, though: They sell decent looking access hole covers for this. Check to see what sizes they have so that you don't end up cutting your access hole too big.

Oct 23, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Thanks a lot Rick! Appreciate your input very much. If it is not too much to ask,
    Is there any website where I can see some pictures of what you are suggesting.

Yes, I confess 'am a novice and a "dumb-guy" as far as house plumbing issues go :-))

Google search didn't result in much..

Thanks once again!

-bregs
    CI
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Is this a shower only, or is it a tub/shower combination?

Oct 23, 2006, 07:44 AM
    This is a tub/shower combination. The regular ones (white plastic tub) you see.

The shower area is tiled on three sides and there is shower curtain on the other side.
    Tiles are in good shape, clean, but still 'may have missed something's..

I am also looking at caulk status, not much 'can make out from what I see..

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated to toruble shoot..

-bregs
    CI
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:55 AM
    If it's only happening when the shower is in operation, rather than when the tub is draining from just taking a bath, then it is possible the water is running down the wall and getting behind the valve trim or the tub spout.

Nov 27, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    If it's only happening when the shower is in operation, rather than when the tub is draining from just taking a bath, then it is possible the water is running down the wall and getting behind the valve trim or the tub spout.
    Dear All,

Thank you for your replies. I am back from vacation trip and wanted to get this fixed.

I called a plumbing company; When I explained, the guy told me that it's the PVC pipes
    That had contracted during winter (or cold weather) and its taking time to expand on
    Incoming hot water. Until we see water stains on the ceiling (kitchen downstairs) he
    Said not to worry. How does this analysis sound?

Would appreciate if you can give me you opinion on this analysis.

Uptill now, I shut the water off the shower..

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Leak [ 6 Answers ]

I have a leak in my shower drain. I would like to remove the drain to replace or re-seal it. I do have access underneath since it is in a ranch. It looks like there is a large ring or nut screwed on from below to tighten up the drain and compress the gasket between the drain flange and the...

Another Shower Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a leak from a second floor shower stall drain. It is obvious that the leak is coming from the seal between the drain and the shower floor. The drain assembly is glued to the drain pipe and can not be loosened from underneath. I had to remove the drain assembly from the inside of...

Shower Leak [ 8 Answers ]

CAn anyone help with a shower leak. I think it is the seal around the drain. Here is a link to the drain: http://images18.fotki.com/v345/photos/7/734253/4011774/PICT0030-vi.jpg How is this removed to replace the seal?

Shower leak [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new 2 story house. About 3 times that we've used our shower it has leaked by water coming out of a light in my kitchen (on the 1st floor). Every time a plumber comes out and looks they cannot find a leak. I am scared because of the electrical that the water is passing...

Shower leak [ 3 Answers ]

After 5 months in a 4 year old home, water began leaking from our family room ceiling directly below the master shower. It happened a few more times, but only after the shower had been running for about 20 minutes. I had a plumber come out to diagnose the problem and after cutting a hole in the...

View more questions Search