Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Aug 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Type of solder to use for speaker wall plate
    I have a speaker wall plate that I want to route speaker wires to through the wall. What type of solder do I use since I can't use an acid solder. The directions say I can use a soldering iron.
    Name:  GE speaker wall plate.jpg
Views: 5570
Size:  3.6 KB
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 03:10 PM

The best solder probably be 63/37 which is a lead based solder. The unique part of this solder is that it will liquefy and solidify at the same temperature and it melts at a low temperature.

Both the low temp and the same liguid/solid temperatures will be a big help soldering.

You should, hopefully, be able to obtain the leaded solders. This is typically called rosin core solder which is the flux.

Clean the flux off immediately with Carburator Cleaner (I found it works really well) to prevent corrosion.

If you live by a Radio-Shack, they should have what you need.
    You'll need at least a 40 W iron and maybe larger if you use the lead-free solder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering

Aug 6, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    The best solder probably be 63/37 which is a lead based solder. The unique part of this solder is that it will liquify and solidify at the same temperature and it melts at a low temperature.

Both the low temp and the same liguid/solid temperatures will be a big help soldering.

You should, hopefully, be able to obtain the leaded solders. This is typically called rosin core solder which is the flux.

Clean the flux off immediately with Carburator Cleaner (I found it works really well) to prevent corrosion.

If you live by a Radio-Shack, they should have what you need.
    You'll need at least a 40 W iron and maybe larger if you use the lead-free solder.

Soldering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The back of the wall plate has little flat tabs on it. Are there any crimp connections I can use instead of solder?
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Aug 6, 2009, 09:59 PM

Patty,

Depends whether they're solder tabs or 'quick-connect' tabs. Are you able to post a close-up photo of them?

If not, tab dimensions would help: thickness (use a micrometer or vernier calipers), width, and length, all in millimetres of course. If the tabs have a semi-circular end, a small hole near that end and are thin (bend easily) they're solder tabs.

Daniel

Aug 8, 2009, 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    Patty,

Depends whether they're solder tabs or 'quick-connect' tabs. Are you able to post a close-up photo of them?

If not, tab dimensions would help: thickness (use a micrometer or vernier calipers), width, and length, all in millimetres of course. If the tabs have a semi-circular end, a small hole near that end and are thin (bend easily) they're solder tabs.

Daniel
    They are solder tabs.
    Name:  IMG_0281.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0282.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  58.7 KB
    Excuse the mess in the living room. I had to send this pic to my son-in-law who owns an audio visual company and installs big screens and sound systems for businesses. He never returned my calls for any advice. Thank you for yours!!
    Patty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bottom Plate of Wall Rot [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Garage with the bottom plate (2x4 wall) rotted. I have an issue with water shedding on the backside of garage that I'm currently fixing with a couple of french drains. However the bottom plates of this wall has to be replaced. All the studs are exposed (No Rock) is there anything I can do...

How do I run speaker wires in-wall in finished basement? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and at the point where I need to get the speaker wiring in. I'm confused about if I need to make home runs with all the wires or just connect them all in parallel. I'll have a TV and receiver in one room and in the other room I'll have the stereo receiver. I'd like to play...

Solder fittings to Type M copper [ 1 Answers ]

What challenges do I face if my existing plumbing is Type M? Existing copper is 35+ years old. I purchased Type L copper lines. I don't think my fittings were typed.

Decorative Swith Plate or Wall Plate and Switches [ 5 Answers ]

We're looking to replace our standard switch plates with "decorative" plates, mainly in the kitchen backsplash. We have seen plenty of options for the plates, from pewter to copper to nickel, etc. Are there options for the actual switches themselves? Can we get switches, such as simple light...

Removed switch, hole in wall plate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I removed a switch from a circuit inside a 3-gang box. Now I have a hole in my switch plate. I'm assuming there's something I can find that will be a kind of "dummy switch" and basically cover the hole in the switch plate from the inside. Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and if so...

View more questions Search