Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toyekoye Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Repaint aluminum deck fenscing
    I have extensive aluminum deck fencing around my decks and stairways. A few days ago I had them cleaned by power washing and a lot of the paint was washed off. What kind of paint should I use to repaint the aluminum?
    Thank you.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 05:45 PM

The best answer here is to go to a real paint store and explain what you are doing. There are water tower paints that work well but very expensive. They are familiar with the temp changes in your Geo which greatly effects the aluminum expansion and contraction amounts. What works in one Geo won't do well in another when there is so much heat and cold movement of the metal

Aug 5, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Thank you so much for your reply. I would never have thought of Geo differences when thinking about outside paint!
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:29 AM

Its not usually an issue but aluminum being out side is an issue. I delt with aluminum that's out side and the expansion when the sun hits it is more then you would think in movement. Not to mention painted exterior metal is difficult to begin with. I'm partial to Benjamin Moore paints. They have a good industrial paint line.

Aug 5, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Wow, I cannot believe the help you've given me!! It's really appreciated.
    Our house is sided in aluminum and the side that gets the sun is always cracked and sometimes peels. We've just been told to lightly sand and repaint it with any regular house paint. I'm sure going to look into Benjamin Moore industrial paints as this is an issue every year.
    So very many thanks.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 11:07 AM

I don't know how long you plan on living there but at some point I would remove the alumin siding and install vinyl. Its more cost effective then to keep painting alumin siding not to mention the resale value gained. This can be a Diy project. I or someone else can guide you through this. I'm a G.C. and siding is a cake walk to install and there are other construction people on the site that also can help. You will get a response

I talk the customers into the thinking of
    "Vinyl is Finial" Pays for itself. Easy to install. Also the alumin is worth money at the scrap yard.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 05:58 PM

Spray laquer. Can be difficult to do if you never did it before.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 03:08 PM

I love Rustoleum products. They adhere great to metal surfaces. Oil based. A gallon is about $32.00.

Aug 7, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Now we're looking into replacing the aluminum siding and aluminum frame windows!
    I have some pieces of the deck fencing that were left over and will try these suggestions on them and then choose the one I like the best to repair the damaged deck fencing.
    Thank you all so much for your prompt and very helpful replies..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repaint home developer install front exterior fiberglass door [ 1 Answers ]

We are about to sell our house and would like to repaint our front exterior fiberglass door. It was originally installed by the home developer company when we first moved in. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! Jessica

Need to repaint Fender Squire jagmaster [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My son has an electrict guitar that he wants to refinish/repaint and I was wondering if anyone has done this before and could point us in the right direction. Is it too difficult for just anyone to do? Thanks :)

Deck top. We have a covered deck, planning on expanding deck, a 2x4 crossed cover [ 1 Answers ]

help!! We are planning on expanding our original deck with an open 2x4 crossed cover... do you have pictures or construction help?? Thanks

New Baby coming Home! - Should I repaint my living room? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my baby boy is coming home in May and my living room is already painted. I need to paint the rest of the rooms so I am using natura paint by benjamin moore. However the living room I'm a bit concern about. I don't want to sound tooo crazy about it, but I need to paint anyway so if it helps I...

How to clean old paint and repaint shower walls and floor [ 1 Answers ]

How do I clean old paint that is peeling off the walls and floor of painted cement block shower? What products should be used to repaint?

View more questions Search