Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mesing2u Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Need to repaint Fender Squire jagmaster
    Hi,
    My son has an electrict guitar that he wants to refinish/repaint and I was wondering if anyone has done this before and could point us in the right direction. Is it too difficult for just anyone to do?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 05:33 PM

Have done several Stratocasters, I would sand smooth, fill any dings, I used to sand down, reshape where needed, use clear sanding sealer a couple times, sand between, repeat, then Lacquer, sand paint sand paint till perfect, 0000 steel wool, then polish, buff.
    1 Strat I had must have had Enamel underneath, maybe their standard, then I painted with Lacquer over enamel, then it started shrinking and crinkling up, but I let it go. Then let it dry and sand, what it left was cracks all over the guitar, Actually turned out to be a good effect.
    I also sand blasted the front of one, which took out the softer wood, leaving the harder grains, then I would paint a darker color in the grooves, another(lighter) color on top to give it depth. The Strat had burned up in a fire is why I sandblasted in the first place. Also had a good effect.
    I haven't done a lot of repair, I would try Youtube and Meta Café on Guitar Repair if you don't a get few answers.
    mesing2u Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 06:11 PM
    Thank you so much... I assumed it would be a lot of work :) I will have him check out YouTube to see if there is anything he can learn from that. It sounds as if I should probably get someone to do a custom job... he would go nuts if we ruined it ;)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 05:13 AM

Here's some from Metacafe:
    Best Guitar Repair Videos
    For free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Baby coming Home! - Should I repaint my living room? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my baby boy is coming home in May and my living room is already painted. I need to paint the rest of the rooms so I am using natura paint by benjamin moore. However the living room I'm a bit concern about. I don't want to sound tooo crazy about it, but I need to paint anyway so if it helps I...

$3K Fender Bender [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Just thought I'd ask a few professionals before I deplete my bank account. I was involved in a fender bender while I was parallel parking my Subaru Outback on a quiet side street in Queens. A woman driving by as I was turning in to the tricky spot, hit my passenger side front fender and cracked...

How to clean old paint and repaint shower walls and floor [ 1 Answers ]

How do I clean old paint that is peeling off the walls and floor of painted cement block shower? What products should be used to repaint?

Fender Bender [ 3 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey, I was visiting a friend in upstate NY. Once I got off the exit in Utica NY; I didn't see a car standing still in the middle of the RD. There was no lights. My Car Tapped the back of there's. We both have the same make Car. There was no damage to my car, and none to there's. I...

View more questions Search