Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbfritsche Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 06:15 AM
    House traning a 7 month old silky terrier
    I purchased this dog from a pet store. He had been living in a crate all that time. He still deficates in his crate (even if I small size it) and will do accidents sometimes at will in the house. Is there a technique that will break him of this habit. My wife is ready to give him away but that he will only end up in a pound if that happens. Need advice...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 06:22 AM

No offense but this is one of the many reasons never to buy a dog from a pet store.

You will just have to be patient.
    Seeing as how he is 7 months old and never had any training it will be difficult.

Pet store and puppy mill dogs 'self train' themselves to basically go to the toilet anywhere, even in their own bed if they are kept in a small enough crate.

Just go through the normal process.
    A firm "no" when yous see him going to the toilet inside and rush him outside so he knows where he should be going.
    When he does go outside shower him with praise, make him think that going outside is the best thing ever.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 06:25 AM

The key now is patience. How often is your puppy going outside? He should be going out after he eats, after he plays, after he naps. Praise him on the spot when he goes potty outside. If you catch him in the house distract him and take him outside to finish. Immediate praise. Very important! It gets better, hang in there.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 28, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Potty training a dog takes time.

If the dog does it's business indoors then pick her up, look her in the eyes, and say No in a growly voice.
    If the dog does it's business outside act like the dog is the king of the world, it may feel weird at first but trust me it works.

Good Luck!:)

Joy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Our silky terrier won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

Help help, our 2 1/2 yr old silky terrier female won't eat. We love her so much, little by little she was getting picky and we started to give her human food, boiled chicken than flavor chicken like rotisserie and bbq chicken. She has a sensitive stomach and eat small to begin with, but now she...

How big is a 4 month old jack russel terrier [ 1 Answers ]

How big is a lack russel terrier at 4 months old

2 yr old rescued rat terrier/mix- goes outside and inside the house- [ 1 Answers ]

I've tried the nature's miracle spray - urine gone--help - I'm honestly ready to give her up - but I love her--

Boston Terrier Poops in house [ 2 Answers ]

7 month, male, Boston goes outdoors and poops heavily three times a day but will still find a way to poop in the house. Different sites on the NET talk about a special training method for Boston Terriers that is guarunteed to stop your dog from craping in the house for $49.95. I'm at my witts end...

6 month old boston terrier pooping in cage [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old boston terrier poops in her cage every time that we leave the house (not only does she poop, but she stomps on it and smears it all around the cage and on herself). It doesn't matter how we are gone, 30 minutes or 8 hrs! She never did this before - it just started last month when we...

View more questions Search