Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blestrange Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Just wondering
    So, I'm seventeen years old and I've never been in a relationship in my life. Scratch that. I've been on one date to the movies where I basically had to ask the guy myself through myspace (ugh, I know) and to top it all off, he stabbed someone and got expelled from his school (prior to me, of course). We met in summer school. (I was in summer school of my own accord, I'm not completely dumb). I hope this post doesn't come off as whiny because it's not something that dramatically affects me because I'm used to it. It's just... kind of unsettling since hopefully I'm going to be going to college next year. I don't go out at all basically, and I suppose you could consider me an introvert. I don't have a lot of friends outside of a few people in school that I chat with. I'm not unattractive, in my opinion, but I guess my problem is that I'm boring and don't have a sense of humor/wit and can't carry on a conversation? I'm just socially awkward. Anyway. I'd like to help myself fix this. Any suggestions? :D And just telling me to go out won't really work because I've been told this before, and I haven't followed the advice.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 19, 2006, 05:09 PM
    Yeah... go out the house and take a camera with you... start looking at people through the lens of a camera... this invisibly will help you with your awkwardness... watch people see how interesting they are…the funny …the sad…take pictures of your surroundings…involve yourself in art…it is just fine to be an individual…after all the expressions in today’s music (art) is about not walking with the norm…when you get to college take elective in photography…start working for the schools newspaper…that will get you involved in everything and every body…yes…now you will have something to say…wit comes with knowledge…work yourself loose…
    blestrange Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Um. I'm already an "artist," and I observe people a lot, but I don't consider myself to be an individual. I paint and draw and sculpt. I mean, I guess I'm not as into it as some of the other kids at my school (especially after doing it for three years in high school) but whatever. Yeah. Thanks anyway?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Well if you haven't followed the advice then how do you know it won't work? When it comes to developing things like a sense of humor and conversational skills, practice makes perfect (well, OK, maybe not perfect but certainly proficient.) Start with your friends and other people you feel comfortable with. Once you get the hang of it you can move on to people who are less familiar. Do you have a knowledge base from which you could start? By that, I mean have your read any books or seen any movies lately? Do you have any hobbies that you pursue? Do you follow current events? How about sports? It always helps to be interested in the things you're talking about. As for a sense of humor, watch some funny TV shows and/or read some joke books ; do anything that's tickle your funny bone. It'll spill over in your relations with others. You may not want to hear it, but you really have to just get out there and do it.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 10:06 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about not having been in a relationship at 17. That is probably a good thing.
    Wait until college and I'm sure you'll meet a wide range of people and you'll find dates are easy to come by.
    Don't let it worry you too much at this stage.

Just be as confident as you can be. Most of all try and have fun. Smile... It will get you a long way!
    ImWho Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2006, 01:55 AM
    If you won't follow advice that was given to you on the same subject, why seek more advice? The only way to get out there is to... well do it.
    Your 17, enjoy it! Spend some time with friends, don't fret over relationships. You'll have plenty down the road. Look for new friends rather than a relationship. And have FUN!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 03:05 AM
    If you don't follow the good advice to ge out there and practice being among people socially what is it you really want? How are you going to meet someone without being seen and noticed? Don't you know you have to be a friend before you are a girlfriend?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just wondering... [ 8 Answers ]

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks? Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand? Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? Why does "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing? Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?

Wondering [ 8 Answers ]

I am a week late with AF and I tested two days ago and it was negative. I did not think any thing of it since eight months ago I was on the Depo Shot. I just got my AF back in June and in July but it is August and I have not had one. In June and July when I did have my period I had majo pregnancy...

Wondering? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought Proactiv Solution for my acne... I was wondering if anyone here uses or ever used this product and did it really improve the acne on your skin? So far it's been a week and a half using it, it has made my skin a lot more softer and I do notice a little clearing of my face but I...

Wondering [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. First, I Want To Say That My Significant Other & I Are Wonderful. So I Have A Questions For The Experts. On 2/17/06, My Husband & I Made Love & A Week Prior To That Was My Ovulation Time. So Because We Are Married Sometimes My Husband And Are Choose To Have Sex Unprotected. So He...

I'm wondering how far is to far? [ 1 Answers ]

Well I am a 38 y/o lady and it seem that life is becoming almost to much to bear I'm no good at anything I do any more I have icolated myself for many years and I have contact with no one unless I need to I'm disabled and no one seems to understand enough is enough as far as that goes. My children...

View more questions Search