Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calven ip Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Shower tap cannot control water flow
    There is a plug on the water tap, usually pull up to direct the water flow to the shower head, push down to direct water coming out from the tap. Now, the plug malfunction, cannot push back to the original position. So, water coming out from both shower head & the tap. I cannot disassemble the plug, don't know the structure. How to fix it? Advise, better with diagram showing the structure of the tap. Thank you. Calven Ip Fm HK
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 07:45 PM

The thing that the water comes out of is called a spout, your's would be called a tub spout with a shower diverter. They are not very expensive and are not that hard to replace. If you have any knowledge of plumbing you should be able to do it yourself.

You will have to determine what kind you have before you can take it off. It will either screw off by turning it counter clockwise or it could have a allen screw underneath the bottom of the spout that you could access with an allen wrench through this hole.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 08:00 PM

That thing you are pulling and pushing, is it right on the spout or is it on the escutcheoln plate with the handle that controls the water temp and volume?

Jul 27, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    That thing you are pulling and pushing, is it right on the spout or is it on the escutcheoln plate with the handle that controls the water temp and volume?
    It's on the spout, it's a shower diverter (pull to direct water to shower head, push to direct water to the spout). Thank you to 'letmetellu' for introducting me the above term. I think I should try what letmetellu suggested, anticlockwise the diverter plug or use a wrench through the hole beneath the plug to disassemble the diverter plug. However, I'm now in a trip in PRC, I hv to wait till Wednesday back home for the check. Thank you for your concern and assistance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 07:54 AM

Usually its easier to just replace the entire spout. They either are threaded on or slip on with a set screw. We must figure out which you have before trying anything.

Jul 29, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    The thing that the water comes out of is called a spout, your's would be called a tub spout with a shower diverter. They are not very expensive and are not that hard to replace. If you have any knowledge of plumbing you should be able to do it yourself.

You will have to determine what kind you have before you can take it off. It will either screw off by turning it counter clockwise or it could have a allen screw underneath the bottom of the spout that you could access with an allen wrench through this hole.
    Hello, letmetellu, tks a lot. I opened the spout at below and fixed the shower diverter!

Jul 29, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Usually its easier to just replace the entire spout. They either are threaded on or slip on with a set screw. We must figure out which you have before trying anything.
    Tks ballengerb1, I opened the diverter from below and fixed it. Great!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No flow/hot water in shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower that doesn't get a lot of use in my house, but recently, we recaulked our main bathroom, so I was planning on using that shower. It has a single turn knob for flow and temperature, and when turned past cold to the hot side, the flow is reduced to barely a stream, not even enough to...

Increasing Hot Water flow in Shower [ 8 Answers ]

I am in a 4 year old home. The County Inspectors had done something in the kids' bath that only allowed lukewarm water to flow in the shower. Understand that this was done to prevent scalding water to flow on to the kids. I believe this is something to do with the Flow Valve or Cartridge or...

No water flow to shower head [ 1 Answers ]

We have normal flow of water to our tub faucet, but no water flow to our shower head. What could be the problem?

No hot water/low water flow when shower is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

My home was built in 2005, I have a shower/tub combo that has only been used once since it was installed. I recently had issues with hearing sucking/draining noise coming from the drain in this bath when toilet was flushed, I discovered the water in the trap had evaporated.. Easy fix! But when I...

Minimal hot water flow to shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hot and cold water runs freely from the faucet to the tub, but when the shower is turned on, the majority of the hot water continues to run from the faucet to tub and not go up through the shower. No problems with cold water. What is wrong and can I fix this?

View more questions Search