Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrdosanj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Delta Faucet Allen Bolt Stuck
    Hi everyone,

We just moved into our current home, and in the ensuite the Delta Faucet needs to be adjusted so that we can move on to having hot showers rather than luke warm showers. All other taps in the house give nice hot water except this one. Looking online at Delta's website, it shows how to adjust the amount of hot water (Colder Hotter slider), but I have to first get the handle off.

Here comes the problem. I can't get the allen bolt out. I've soaked it with WD-40, but have been hesitant to hammer it to try to loosen things up (don't want to bust a pipe or anything).

Any suggestions? Seems like such a simple task that has become more complicated!

Thanks in advance for any help! It is much appreciated!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Hi rrdosanj:

I have seen this... a FEW TIMES...

Try TAPPING the allen wrench with a hammer to set it deeper into the head of the allen screw. Then take a pair of pliers and grab the allen wrench and see if you can remove the allen screw.

If that fails, I have taken the next size allen wrench in the pack and tried to force that into the allen screw head. I have gone as far as to grind of a bit and then try again (only do this wearing safety goggles).

Finally, if that fails then you may need to drill out the allen screw HEAD only. This means you would find a drill bit about the size of the allen screw head and then drill out about 1/8" at a time until you remove the head but don't drill into the handle... ;)

Once the screw head is drilled down the handle should pop out so you can access the headless allen screw with a pair of pliers and unscrew the allen screw. Pick up a new allen screw (bring old threaded stud with you) at home improvement center and do what you need to to increase temp. at faucet.

Finally, if the handle is damaged somehow, you can always order a replacement handle and allen screw from Delta!

Let me know if you have questions...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to replace 'O' rings and Gaskets in Delta Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My Delta faucet which is probably 30 years old constantly drips. I have replaced the shower head so know it is the faucet. It is a single handle push up for on and twist to the right or left for temperature control. How do I replace the o rings and gaskets? Thank you

Allen Wrench stuck in garbage disposal [ 2 Answers ]

Please help! Our garbage disposal would not turn on, but just made a humming sound. So I took an Allen wrench and inserted it into the hole at the very bottom of the unit and turned the wrench. This freed up the unit... and it would be operational now, but the Allen wrench got stuck in the bottom...

Stuck bolt [ 4 Answers ]

Im trying to remove the bolt that's holding my brother-inlaws mower blade and it is stuck. I know what Im doing as I maintained a large landscaping companies mowers for 3 years but we had impact wrenches so I never had to deal with this. Ill have access to air tools on Monday but I want to get this...

Delta diverter stem stuck [ 4 Answers ]

We have a three handle delta faucet in our bath/shower. When turned to use the shower only half of the water comes out the shower the other half still comes out of the faucet. We assume we need to change the stem but we can't get it out. There isn't a nut or anything that seems to be holding it...

Delta Faucet in Tub [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry for the multiple questions in the same day, but I am at a loss to explain what is going on with my tub's faucets. Currently the cold water side will not stop dripping. I have replaced the stem, the seat on the hot cold and diverter, but it continues leaking. I realize after doing this a...

View more questions Search