Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guenilla285 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 06:00 PM
    What type of Polyurethane to use on an Oak Table
    I have just finished stripping my Oak Table of all the gunk and gook build up over the years.
    I have decided not to stain it, as I have discovered it has beautiful grain and color. My question is, what type of Polyurethane should I use to protect it? And how many coats should I apply?:)
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jul 23, 2009, 11:21 PM

I use a wipe on sealer you use a t-shirt and wipe it on. I got the best coverage with it. I looks like it came from the factory. I was easy and not too smelly I did it right in the kitchen, and it just takes a couple of sanding after a few coats to look perfect. I tried sprays and sanded it back off twice. It came in a can like charcoal lighter fluid. That's all I'll ever use. It's real easy to get great results. I hope you look for it. It's minwax wipe-on poly clear satin. Ity's been on my kitchen table for 5 years now. Good Luck!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 05:23 AM

You probably don't want a high gloss,satin would be recommended,I go with at least 3 coats of finish,sanding between coats to remove any debris and it helps find any imperfections you might want to address.120 grit paper is best for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I put polyurethane over gloss paint [ 2 Answers ]

Can I put a coat of poly over the top of gloss paint or can I use something else

Polyurethane on engineered hardwood flooring [ 4 Answers ]

I installed engineered hardwood floors in my living room in the instructions it said to put polyurethane on the floor when finished so that's what I did but now some spots on the floor are spotty and some are smooth and shiny what should I do. How can I take the polyurethane off the floor.

Where can I find a motor for a DeWalt DW744 type 2 table saw [ 5 Answers ]

A friend gave me the above table saw which was not working. I disconnected the switch and hooked the motor directly to a power supply and the saw did not come on so I know it was not the switch. Rather than try to rebuild the motor, where can I find one and about how much can I expect to pay? ...

Painting with Polyurethane/Latex [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wooden table that I wish to put out of doors and I want to seal it and paint it white, so it can take the weather. It presently is just stained. Do I poly it first and then paint it and then poly over the paint or what?

Polyurethane over paINT [ 7 Answers ]

Do I put a satin polyurethane over a painted cabinet?

View more questions Search