Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisboncomplex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 05:07 AM
    Room ventilation for safe oil painting
    Hi.

I'm starting to paint with oil paints. I already bought brushes, tubes of paint, canvases, etc. I have a room at my home which I started using for this purpose (I don't use it as a bedroom). This room has large windows which I keep always open and I paint with my easel very near these windows.

As a solvent I always use the low odour Sansodor brand from Winsor and Newton and never the traditional turps. However I'm very concerned about health hazards and smelling harmful and toxic fumes. Do you think that an opened window is enough as a ventilation system as I don't have any forced air system to blow out the fumes? I also know that Sansodor is less toxic than a traditional turpentine but it's still harmful. In my country (Portugal) there are no citrine based solvents for sale in art or craft stores. I'm thinking of buying them online despite being expensive.

I'm not considering working with water soluble oil paints like Artisan from W&N or others. Which advise would you give? What health risks can I suffer from this activity.

Thanks in advance!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 06:19 AM

I found this and it gives precautions for oil painters,but it doesn't mention if an open window is enough ventilation or not.
    Studio safety and oil painting | All the Strange Hours
    lisboncomplex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Hi firmbeliever! Thank you so much for your very quick and kind answer.

The link you gave was quite helpful, specially considering the chemistry of pigments and oil based paints. As for the ventilation matter, the author of that text wasn't quite clear about what are the minimum requirements. The author also doesn't give alternatives to traditional solvents besides not using them which can be very limiting for oil painting.

Thanks again and have a nice week
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 06:00 AM

I hope someone pops in to help with the ventilation issue.

http://www.uic.edu/sph/glakes/harts1...y/oilclass.txt

You could try asking at this site.
    How to Oil Paint ~ Oil Painting Lessons ~ Guide to Oil Painting

We would also love to see your work if you like to put them up here.
    Louis1943 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Hello, My name is Louis R. Velasquez. I have painted with hazardous materials for over 40 years... because there were no options. In 2000 I began my work in promoting safe oil painting. This year, 2011, I created OIL PAINTING WITH MILK: Safey for New Painters and School Art Classes. This is a NEW and REVOLUTIONARY OIL PAINT, using regular tube oil paints. The method is very simple, easy to learn,fun and economical... and one paints with OIL PAINTS, without any hazardous solvents, resins, varnishes or driers . There are NO solvent fumes, bad odors, or any adverse health issues. See more details on my website. Www.calcitesunoil.com or search my name on Amazon. Thank You, Louis

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the formula for square footage for painting a room? [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know exactly how to figure of rooms for painting.Do you measure the height and width of each wall and add them to the ceiling? Thank you.

Living room painting [ 3 Answers ]

Please help I live in a mobil home so I don't know if the walls are different than a regular home they are not shiny the people before painted them beige and white sponging any way I want to paint them green my problem is I picked a nice soft slightly olive green color and I tried it on the walls...

Painting a dark room [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bedroom where the walls are a dark burgandy color. There is also writing on the walls from a black majic marker. I want to paint the walls a light color. How do I cover the dark wall and marker without it showing through? Should I use a primer first? If so, what type of primer?

When to know it is safe for baby to be back in a freshly painted room. [ 6 Answers ]

The walls were painted in the bedroom. I am not sure if it is safe yet to put our baby back in the room. I am not exactly sure what paint was used and cocking around the windows. The workers told me it is water based. It smelled strong at first but I have been airing it out since...

Painting my rec room, should I... [ 13 Answers ]

I'm having the casing going around the mid height of the room, some call it a chair stop? Anyway, it will be a 2 tone room, chocolate brown and an off white-beige kind of colour. I was going to put the dark colour on top and the light on the bottom... or is their a general rule of thimb to this...

View more questions Search