Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadrhs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Ceiling joist
    I am rebuilding on my carport slab. What size joist is needed (yellow pine) to span 22 ft from outer wall to interior wall? Then 10 ft from interior wall to back wall? Will consider using a conceiled beam or 2 to suspend joist if necessary.

O.K. Knew I would forget to specify that this question was about CEILING joist!
    I am rebuilding on my carport slab. What size joist is needed (yellow pine) to span 22 ft from outer wall to interior wall? Then 10 ft from interior wall to back wall? Will consider using a concealed beam or 2 to suspend joist if necessary.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 07:46 PM

This calculator should be just what you need. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/constr...an-377166.html
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 07:48 PM

What size joist is needed (yellow pine)
    Many of our problems and cost in construction have been spanning distances such as yours. To help solve that problem We use engineered floor joist. It looks like an ( I ) beam. It's a 2by on the top and bottom and a laminated glued plywood for the height between the 2bys.

They aren't cheap but when you factor a steel I beam is not necessary or post under the steel I beam and add the clear span. Having no post in in the open floor space the Joist becomes a very attractive way to build.

TrimJoist Corporation - Engineered Wood Joists

TrimJoist Uniform Load Span Charts - Phone: (800) 844-8281

Check with your local Lumber yard and or a truss company.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 04:58 PM

I merged your posts, please don't start a new question to add information, these are not blogs but threads.

If you want to add more info, just "answer" the question showing the additional info
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks Chuck That's changes things on the answer
    rebuilding on my carport slab
    Not sure exactly what re bhilding means. A tear down and start from scratch is build new
    CEILING joist
    If the 'Ceiling" When a a bottom rafter is also used for the ceiling that piece of wood is refereed to as the "bottom Cord" Or bottom rafter
    Assuming it's a new roof the bottom cord size can be calculated by the truss company
    jmc1324 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2009, 05:28 AM

what type of load will be above if just supporting ceiling dry wall you'd be OK with just 2 x 8 if having a room above for living space I would go with the "I joist system"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to span 8' opening [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, This is my first time on a forum such as this, so please bear with me. I'm in the process of building a music studio using what is called the "room in a room" technique where each room in the building has it's own walls and ceiling completely separate from one another, the only...

Span of 2x12 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building a deck and was wondering how far I could span 2x12 joists

Beam span [ 2 Answers ]

What is the usual span for two 2x8 nailed side by side. Im building a new deck 24' x 24' I don't know if I need this much support (2x8) nailed side by sdie

View more questions Search