Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jul 17, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Burning Oil (I Think)
    I have a '95 Saturn 1.8L with 120k miles. It runs great and my wife uses it to transport the dogs, so it's a perfect "old" car for that.

It is using about 1qt of 10W-30 oil every 1k miles (maybe even using a bit more by now). No smoke and no leaks. Nothing strange getting in cooling system.

The cost to rebuild engine is more than car is worth, so...

Is there some way to slow this down?

A heavier weight oil perhaps?

I read online that someone went to straight 40W and it helped.

I live in San Diego and it never gets cold here, so do I really need the "10W" part?

Thanks...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:38 AM

. Ensure there are no leaks; i.e. drain plug, oil filter, oil pan, or valve cover.

. Replace the PCV Valve--it may be allowing too much crankcase airflow.

. Remove spark plugs and check each cylinder's compression.

. Use full-synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1 10W-30). Synthetics withstand the heat much better than conventional engine oils (they have higher NOACK Volatility ratings). Your problem may be that the oil is evaporating; i.e. the light molecules are being burned, due to heat. Change synthetic oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jul 17, 2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks!

A couple of questions for clarification, if I may:

As I recall, there is a way to check a PCV valve by blowing through it. It's a check valve, isn't it? Should only allow airflow in one direction?

What should the cyl compression be (approx)?

The synthetics sound good. Would it help to go to a heavier weight?

Thanks again...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 11:09 AM

I would replace the PCV Valve, since it likely has never been done before. Clean the hose with brake cleaner.

Compression should likely be around 150 psi. If it's less than 120 psi, you may have a problem. They should not vary from one another by more than 20%. You should check a manual for the specs on your engine.

If you want, use Mobil 1 15W-50.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burning oil [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2002 nissan altima that burns oil the light just came on a few days ago... When I turned my engine two days ago I noticed smoke coming out of the muffler... I read here that it could be the head gasket or other things... to be more specific when I check my oil it goes low and black...

Burning up [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Texas does a landlord legally have to provide an air conditioner unit?

Burning when having sex [ 3 Answers ]

Most of the time when my boyfriend and I are having sex I get this burring when he finishes in me, sometime it just burns when we beging to have sex. I don't know if I have something or maybe we are not compatible or something.

Cd burning [ 4 Answers ]

I am a church webmaster I would like to record burn long play cd fast, is there a computer with mulit cd burning stand alone. And is there a software the burn multi cd's at once.

Burning... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there... I know a little about burning data dics... but one thing is I want to burn a pack of installer for example Adobe CS Pack but I notice that the file size is too big it won't fit in to my 700MB cd so I want to make it 2 cds like some installer pack into 3 cds or more... but I don't know...

View more questions Search