Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maestro74 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 12:23 PM
    3way switching w/ a fan light combo and dimmer switch
    I've got a 3way switching situation: switch location 1 has a dimmer that has a slider for the light and a sliding dimmer for the fan. Location 1 has just a 3wire going to sw.location 2. Switch 2 has the 3wire from sw.location 1, a 2wire feed coming in, and a 3wire going to the ceiling fan/light. Do I wirenut the neutral of the feed and the white of the 3wire going to the other switch together? Than my feed black would be the common and the black/red of the 3wire would be my travelers? If this is correct, tying the whites together, where does the 3wire going to the fixture hook up?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 12, 2009, 08:25 PM

Is the fan controlled by a switch? How many wires in ceiling box.

Jul 12, 2009, 08:49 PM
    It's just a toggle switch at one location - other location has a Hunter sliding dimmer he bought - one slider for the light, the other for the dimmer.

Jul 13, 2009, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maestro74 View Post
    - one slider for the light, the other for the dimmer.
    Do you mean one for the fan and a dimmer for the light?

Must know how many wires in the ceiling box to determine function of wires?

Jul 13, 2009, 05:55 AM

The switch w/ the dimmer fits into a single gang box. It has a sliding dimmer for the light and a sliding dimmer for the fan. I know ordinarily you can't use a dimmer on a fan, but this must be a rheostat - he's got the same kind of dimmer in his bedroom and it works. But the bedroom's not a 3way configuration.
    In the living room, where I'm having this 3way problem, there's only one 3wire in the ceiling fan location.

Jul 13, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maestro74 View Post
    - he's got the same kind of dimmer in his bedroom and it works. But the bedroom's not a 3way configuration.
    The fan/ light dimmer must be a 3-way. If not a 3-way version of what's in the bedroom it won't work.

Jul 13, 2009, 05:13 PM

The fan/light dimmer is a 3way version of what's in the bedroom.
    Thanks for all of your help, but I think I've got it figured out now: there needs to be a stacked switch at the other location for it to properly work. All the wiring is fine how it is - I just need to bring power on the black of the 3wire going to the fan and the that red wire will be the common on the 3way switch. Power to the dimmer switch will be brough over on the neutral of the other 3wire. So the wiring's all right - but if he really wants to 3way both the light and the fan, he's either got to make it a 2gang box, or make it a stacked switch in the non-dimmer location.
    But I appreciate all your responses in trying to help me figure this out.

Jul 13, 2009, 06:54 PM

How many terminals on that 3-way fan/light dimmer.

Jul 13, 2009, 08:44 PM

No terminals, but leads to wirenut on to - a ground, white, black, and a red and blue for the light/fan.

Jul 13, 2009, 08:52 PM

Make and model of switch please.

Jul 14, 2009, 05:43 AM

The switch is at the customer's house and I'm on my way out the door for Nashville - be gone for a few days. I'll send it to you when I'm back in town and back at his house.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:08 AM

You can't use the fan/light dimmer as part of a 3 way circuit. You can either have 3 way switches, or separate fan/light dimming, not both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

Installing Light-Fan Dimmer Switch [ 9 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan and recessed lights in my living room, whenturning on the light switch everything comes on. I purchased a dimmer switch to control lights and ceiling fan separate. I have some electrical knowledge, but I guess not enough, Please help. Thanks

Combo Dimmer Switch / receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

Hey - I want to put a dimming light switch w/ a grounding receptacle in my bathroom. Has any one ever seen such an item and if so where at? You would think somewher out there there gots to be one.

Dimmer switch for a fan and light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a dual dimmer switch for a light and fan on the same switch. I can adjust the fan speed only from one side but every time I adjust the light switch, the fan also adjusts according to how I adjust the light. I have a black(hot) wire, a red wire and a bare copper cable coming from...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

View more questions Search