Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jul 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Starting to write a book?
    A few months ago I sat back and decided to start writing a book. I have always been good with writing. I love to read and write. I started writing about myself. I am a young mom and wanted to tell my life story... for it has been very eventful...

I have three chapters done and I start my book when I was in ICU, and then I was thinking about going back from then... Sort of a backwards book... but makes sense.

Any one have advice... I know that autobiographies are different that other books.. :confused:
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 07:59 AM

All I can say is to keep writing. Get into the habit of sitting down and writing a certain number of words (or for a certain period) every day. Even if you can't think of anything, just write anyway. Sometimes when you think your mind is blank, you come up with the best stuff. And even if it's rubbish, chances are that you can edit it later and get something out of it.

Keep writing until you have finished your first draft, then put it away for a while, then go back and read it out loud. You'll hear the bits that sound wrong and the bits that are better than you thought. Be prepared to spend a lot of time re-writing and editing. This bit is more fun than writing the first draft.

Once you've whipped it into shape, you'll have a much better idea where you might be able to sell it.

Jul 6, 2009, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    All I can say is to keep writing. Get into the habit of sitting down and writing a certain number of words (or for a certain period) every day. Even if you can't think of anything, just write anyway. Sometimes when you think your mind is blank, you come up with the best stuff. And even if it's rubbish, chances are that you can edit it later and get something out of it.

Keep writing until you have finished your first draft, then put it away for a while, then go back and read it out loud. You'll hear the bits that sound wrong and the bits that are better than you thought. Be prepared to spend a lot of time re-writing and editing. This bit is more fun than writing the first draft.

Once you've whipped it into shape, you'll have a much better idea where you might be able to sell it.
    Thanks. :) Does anyone know about getting a agent? Does it cost just to have one?
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 01:48 PM

It doesn't cost to have an agent, but you need to have a completely finished and polished book before you can reasonably ask any agent to take you on. Depending on the market for your book, an agent may not be necessary. They come into their own when you are considering multiple markets and different rights.

It is not necessary to have an agent if you have a really good story and a professional approach.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:50 AM

Hi, rhiannahunt!

Would you care to share portions of what you've written here? We may be able to help you with the development of what you've written if you do.

I know that when I've been confined someplace like a hospital, motel or other place, that writing helps me to express myself...

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, rhiannahunt!

Would you care to share portions of what you've written here? We may be able to help you with the development of what you've written if you do.

I know that when I've been confined someplace like a hospital, motel or other place, that writing helps me to express myself...

Thanks!
    Here's a portion

There I sat in a uncomfortable hospital bed, dazzed and confused as to what had happened. I know the reason why i was here, just not why it got so bad.

There was this boy, well not a boy, a man. His name was William. He was a couple years older than me and had already graduated high school. We had known eachother for a couple months but something about him was a lot different than the other guys i had dated. He was different but in a good way. I admit that it was wierd for me at first, but that was to be expected. I have always wanted to find a man that loved me for who i was. I wanted it so bad that i looked often. I believe the reasoning for this was mostly because of my parents divorce when my sister and i were young. I found him and i knew that i did.

He was tall with dark hair. Beautiful Brown eyes with thick long eye lashes. And a thin but noticable gap in between his two front teeth. He was different because of the way he treated me and how he carried himself. He was not the jealous type at all, and that was abnormal for me. Most of the other guys were not like that, maybe it was because William is more responsable, mature and understanding. Roughly nine months ago I was suprised to find out that i, still in high school became pregnant.

A blonde nurse wearing a blue smock walked in.

" Anna, How are you feeling, do you need some more medication?"

I hesitated but knew that i needed more, " No, Im fine, can i have some water?"

"Im sorry anna, but you can't drink or eat anything until we take more tests"

I was so parched. Although the nurses would allow my boyfriend or mother to use a blue swab to moisten my mouth, that just was not enough.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiannahunt View Post
    There was this boy, well not a boy, a man. His name was William. He was a couple years older than me and had already graduated high school. We had known eachother for a couple months but something about him was a lot different than the other guys i had dated. He was different but in a good way. I admit that it was wierd for me at first, but that was to be expected. I have always wanted to find a man that loved me for who i was. I wanted it so bad that i looked often. I believe the reasoning for this was mostly because of my parents divorce when my sister and i were young. I found him and i knew that i did.

He was tall with dark hair. Beautiful Brown eyes with thick long eye lashes. And a thin but noticable gap in between his two front teeth. He was different because of the way he treated me and how he carried himself. He was not the jealous type at all, and that was abnormal for me. Most of the other guys were not like that, maybe it was because William is more responsable, mature and understanding. Roughly nine months ago I was suprised to find out that i, still in high school became pregnant.
    [/I]
    In only two paragraphs, you've managed to cram in your parent's divorce, a description of your boyfriend, a love affair and a gymslip pregnancy. I can't wait to see what you are going to use to fill up the rest of your book.

Seriously, slow down a bit. Take the time to give proper descriptions, especially of someone as important as William. What age is he? What's his surname? How did you meet? How does he show his lack of jealousy? His maturity and responsibility?

Tell us about the affair and how a high school girl ends up pregnant.

Give us a flavour of your life.

Jul 9, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    In only two paragraphs, you've managed to cram in your parent's divorce, a description of your boyfriend, a love affair and a gymslip pregnancy. I can't wait to see what you are going to use to fill up the rest of your book.

Seriously, slow down a bit. Take the time to give proper descriptions, especially of someone as important as William. What age is he? What's his surname? How did you meet? How does he show his lack of jealousy? His maturity and responsibility?

Tell us about the affair and how a high school girl ends up pregnant.

Give us a flavour of your life.
    Thank you very much for your advice. :) I was wondering if I needed to describe more. You answered my question. I spent like 5 minutes on that part of the book. Its mostly a rough draft. I love to write. When I siat and just jott things down I feel the passion. Its weird, I get butterflies. Sounds sappy. :) Any one else that has advice write I am willing to take anything in. ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 05:33 AM

My only advice is to sit down every day and write. Either sit there, with the TV off, for at least an hour (two is better, lets you get into the flow) and do nothing except write. Or set yourself a number of words (500-1000 is realistic) that you must write before you finish.

I know, it sounds hard, sometimes the words don't flow. But you may be surprised at how they can flow when you have nothing in your mind, and sometimes you just have to slog your way through the difficult stuff. The important thing is not that it's great, just that it's down on paper.

Afterwards, you get to the fun stuff, which is editing and rewriting and improving all the stuff you've already written.
    willneibergall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2009, 11:26 PM

My only advice would be to be descriptive, be interesting and BE FUNNY. I've read plenty of boring memoirs, but I've also read plenty of good ones, and all good ones I can think of are very clever and very funny. Pull people in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to write a story book. [ 1 Answers ]

I love literature and would like to be guided on which steps to go about when writing a story book. The topic I want to write about is " A young man's love.":)

A friend of mine wants to write a children's book [ 3 Answers ]

:) Hi Guys, A friend of mine wants to write a children's book. She has a great imagination. And she has the characters in her head. She believes that kids would really love her characters. I am giving her all the confidence she needs like " you can pull it off, and you can do it". But...

I'm going to write a book on the stuff that has happened to me... [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, HAHAHAHA! As a lot of you know I have been talking to this girl for a while now. She doesn't live here, so I'm not thinking of any type of relationship now, but something kind of funny happened a few min ago... She called me last night and we talked for about 30min and she was going out with...

Starting a comic book [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of starting a comic book. I was wondering if it would be best to try and get is published as a book you pick up in stores Or if I should have it distributed on the internet only, and have series and mini videos and tabloid posters on the site Which one would take off better. Or...

View more questions Search