Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmorris3116 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Water dripping off roof
    I just noticed that water is dripping from the roof eave and making a puddle on the patio. It has not rained in several weeks. What could be the cause of this? Is it a plumbing problem or a roof problem?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Hi Cmorris...

Do you have an air conditioner in the attic..

Do you have a heat system or any parts of the heat system in the attic... such as a anything shaped like a tank?

Could be a relief valve or could be that a fill valve or shutoff has failed or could even be that a condensate pump has failed and is overflowing into a drip pan which may have an overflow pipe that is directed to your eaves...

Let us know more...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 01:18 PM
    My bet's on the AC air handler. As a rule air handlers are installed in the attic. When they run condensate drips from the cooling coils. This water is collected in a pan and piped outside. Sometimes gunk builds up at the pans out let and the water can't drain so it overflows out of the pan. I have gone on many calls where the OP thought they had a plumbing problem but it turned out to be a blocked condensate line. What builds up is a kind of a gooey mess. Sometimes simply clearing out the drain hole from the pan's enough. Other times I've had to blow the condensate line out with a air bottle and load the line up with bleach to clean it out. Check and clear the condensate line and I'll wager your leak will disappear. Good luck, Tom
    cmorris3116 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Cmorris...

Do you have an air conditioner in the attic...?

Do you have a heat system or any parts of the heat system in the attic...such as a anything shaped like a tank??

Could be a relief valve or could be that a fill valve or shutoff has failed or could even be that a condensate pump has failed and is overflowing into a drip pan which may have an overflow pipe that is directed to your eaves...

Let us know more...

MARK

Nothing is in the attic. My drain for the air conditioner condensation is in the house. It has overflowed several times and gotten the carpet wet. I started pouring bleach into the drain pipe during the summer and that stopped. The water from the roof has quit dripping. I guess I will just keep an eye on it before calling a professionial. Thanks for your help.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Jul 5, 2009, 07:39 PM

Do you have any gutters in that area that may have been plugged?
    I know you said it has not rained but they will hold water for a long time when the downspouts are plugged. Goodluck
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 6, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Nothing is in the attic.
    You have no pipes of any discriptionh in the attic? Have you considered that your AC ducts might have a condensate problem? ( Bet those are in the attic) If you have nothing in the attic to leak then it becomes a roofing problem. Good luck, tom
    syrlow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
    I have water dripping in the morning only, until the sun warms the roof. I am thinking that it is condensation from the warm attic on the roof, which is cool these mornings in southern CA. When the sun is up for an hour, everything dries up, and the dripping stops.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
    Frost is melting and drips off. Every morning I have water coming down the downspout from the frost.

Nov 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
    I don't have frost in southern CA. The daytime temp is in the 70's, and drops to the high 40's overnight. Just the cool roof, tiles, against the attic interior. This is the only reason, similar to a dripping window in winter, that I can think of.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Could be dew from the high humidity and cooler weather. For you it's just water, for Atlanta it's frost and it was very heavy this AM.

Nov 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Could be dew from the high humidity and cooler weather. For you it's just water, for Atlanta it's frost and it was very heavy this AM.
    We have very low humidity in Southern CA, but the dripping is not there this morning, though cool temps at night, with sun warming uip to 75 by 8 AM.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
    That is how dew forms. Humidity is relative, low in heated sun but goes up as evenings cool. You could have 15% in the day buy heat loss at night could produce 100% at a surface.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Do you see the water or simply hear a dripping sound? If you just hear dripping water I have a answer for you, Back to you. Tom
    tommynemec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2015, 05:15 AM
    cmorris3116 did you resolve this problem? I have the exact situation.do you know if you have spray foam I sulation? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Dripping Into Oil Furnace [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, My hot water oil furnace has been giving off really obnoxious fumes for 8 years. It's something I've had to learn to live with (coughing, watery eyes, etc) because my oil company can't find the cause. As the fumes aren't positive for CO, it's never been a big emergency to them. The...

Roof leak - dripping down vent pipe [ 1 Answers ]

This problem is very similar to some of the posted questions and answers that I have already read, but I just have to ask about my specific problem. This is a GREAT forum... thanx to all for their help. I have a 3 year old house with what I believe is quality workmanship and materials. It has a...

Porch roof ridge beam dripping sap [ 4 Answers ]

Folks, About 4 years ago our house went through a renovation project which included a new screened-in porch. The porch is post and beam construction, of cedar wood. We noticed this spring, for the first time ever, sap drippings on the table and chairs on the porch. The sap is dripping from...

Water dripping from the a/c vents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an a/c which I have been using these last two years and lately, after around 2 hours of usage on cool at a temperature of 22 degrees Celsius, large drops of water start dripping from the A/C vents and keep on dripping on and off until I switch it off. Can someone tell me what the...

Cold water is just dripping... why? [ 1 Answers ]

We've lived in our slab ranch for 15 years. Over the past 7 or so years, we've noticed a slow in cold water pressure, to the point that right now it's just dripping out of the washer (it takes me 1:15 to wash one load in cold) and we're almost being scalded when we shower. Any ideas?

View more questions Search