Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treepeetros Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 06:09 AM
    Hole in trunk; to fix or not to fix?
    I have a massive Catalpa (sp) tree in my front yard. The trunk is about 4 feet in diameter at ground level. About 10 feet up the trunk, there is an oblong hole that's about 10" tall by 4" wide. I think squirrels are living in there. While I don't want to harm the squirrels, I don't want to lose the tree. Should I repair the hole and if so with what, or should I leave it alone. The hole is not at a fork.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jul 5, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Let it alone. You will only due more damage and cause rot, to understand any tree read this from Dr. Alex Shigo:
    http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/shigo/index.html
    It tells how a tree defends itself by isolating the injury.

More on Shigo:
    Shigo - Google Search

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree - repair of hole in trunk [ 26 Answers ]

My Manitoba maple tree has a trunk about seven feet high, at which point it splits into three limbs extending upwards. At the point where it splits there is a large bowllike hole (filled with mushy rot). Can this tree be repaired by filling this cavity with something like cement or asphalt?

1994 Caddy Trunk Motor Won't Close Trunk [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I have a 94 Caddy that the trunk closure motor,(see images) won't operate when the lid's closed. I've checked the 15 amp fuse and it's intact and not blown, Is there anything I've missed. Is there a override so I can close the trunk. I have a week before rain's forecast in my area but...

Is a dirt sump pump hole safe, rather than a concrete hole? [ 3 Answers ]

We moved into our house in May and have been doing lots of updating. One thing has been bothering me, because I don't know any better... Our sump pump sits in a dirt hole about 3 feet in diameter under the concrete floor. Is this safe? Is this really dirty? I have noticed more bugs in this...

Spilled gas in trunk [ 1 Answers ]

I spilled gasoline in the trunk of my car. Wanted to know if there is anyway to get rid of smell? The smell is pretty overpowering. I have been letting the car air out everyday since its happened but it still smells.

Trunk won't stay up. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a '93 Honda Accord. The trunk won't stay up with out using a support. It looks like it has two torsion bars but I am not sure how to replace or even if they are the issue. Help?

View more questions Search