Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikenice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Governor fix
    I have a briggs stratton 5hp go kart engine that i want to make faster. Can i do it by changing the governor and howdo i do it?:confused:
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 04:36 PM

Hi,
    If it is a "regular" 13 cu. in. then move it to full throttle and look between the control plate and the block. You should see a spring about 1.5" long attatched to a moveable control arm roughly "U-shaped" at the bottom amd the governor arm at top. Bending the lower piece downward to increase the tension on the spring will increase the speed. Alternately you can get the numbers off the engine, go to B&S and get the parts breakdown, and order a spring rated for a higher speed (they are always #209 in the breakdown with speeds published.)
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charges against Illonois Governor [ 2 Answers ]

What is Blago in the case against the Illonois governor

JX-75 Governor - mecchanical or electrical? [ 1 Answers ]

How does the governor work on a John Deere JX-75 walk behind mower with Kawasaki engine? It was working fine for the last 4 years and suddenly the engine speed revs high enough with the throttle and stays at a constant level, but when going into heavy grass, the engine slows way down and does not...

8 hp B&S Governor and carb adjustments [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 8hp B&S engine Model: 190432, Type: 6117-01, Code: 92093010. It is installed on a White chipper/shredder. It starts on the first pull every time (with choke closed). It runs smoothly until I try to open the choke, then begins to stall. If I close the choke it picks back up and sometimes...

Governor and choke b&s 9 hp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 hp b&s that will only run with the choke on full. Also need to know how to adjust governor

Governor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, well I am still working on the 16hp briggs engine.. got everything redone but can't get the cover on where the governor is attached.. is there a trick to getting it on, does the inside piece have to be in a certain position. When I slide the cover into place it lockes up the adjuster on top of...

View more questions Search