Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MPOP Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 02:59 PM
    FICA taxes for F1 visa holders
    Hello,

I'm on F-1 visa for more than 5 years. This past year I was on OPT (employed at a university--teaching job) and this was my last year on F-1 visa. Beginning in July I will be on H-1B visa.
    I've been charged FICA taxes throughout the year while on OPT. Should I be paying these taxes while on OPT and F-1 visa?
    Thank you!
    MP
    love80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MPOP View Post
    Hello,

I'm on F-1 visa for more than 5 years. This past year I was on OPT (employed at a university--teaching job) and this was my last year on F-1 visa. Beginning in July I will be on H-1B visa.
    I've been charged FICA taxes throughout the year while on OPT. Should I be paying these taxes while on OPT and F-1 visa?
    Thank you!
    MP
    If u want to do what is right pay it, because like my grandma always said "it better to be safe then sorry."
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jun 17, 2009, 03:16 PM

Yes, you are supposed to pay. Confirm with your CPA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

G4 visa holders exemption taxes [ 3 Answers ]

What kind of taxes is a G4 visa holder exemption of? And how can that holder ask for return them?

Taxes Return for B1/B2 Visa Holders [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was a B1/B2 visa for the last three years and meet the substantial presence test if you take into account the last three years. I have always stayed in the U.S. for around 25 days at a time but never more and I visit the US every other month as I am employed overseas with a Thai based...

Taxes for H1B Visa Holders [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to understand my tax implications when I go to the US on an H1B Visa, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4 Visa). I have read quite a lot of stuff on the IRS website but am a bit conused about some points. These are mentioned below: 1. What is a tax year by US...

Taxes for J1 visa holders in Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hi, This is my 2nd year doing research like a postdoc from chile in Massachusetts. For my maintenance I do receive fellowship payments from an international foundation. Last year I paid both federal and state taxes but now I've heard that j1 visa holders don't need to pay taxes for the first 2...

View more questions Search