Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKoester Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Floor joist
    would sistering a 2x6 onto a old 2x6 be as strong as a 2x10 that should have been used? 24" on centers 14' span
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 02:54 PM

What are u trying to do?

Chuck
    AKoester Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 02:40 PM

I'm updateing, room by room, a older home in northern Wis. This room is 14' x 18'. I'm down to the rafters,studs, and joists. The floor was bouncy. It only has 2"x6" on 24" centers. Trying to get rid of the bounce. Only have room for 2" centers. Trying to get rid of the bounce. Only have room for 2"s now thinking of adding a 2"s now thinking of adding a 2" between the old ones which would give me 12" on center and supporting them all in the center of the span.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:41 PM

Do u have room for girder under floor beams?

What will span be after u put in girder?

Adding 2x6 at 12'' center will help with subfloor and finish floor.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain over floor joist [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new tub and wall unit and the new tubs drain lines up right over a floor joist. The old tub drain fit right down the side of the joist. There is about a 1.5" difference between the two tub drains. Any way to get around this without moving a floor joist?

Drilling 2 x 10 floor joist [ 1 Answers ]

how far from the end of a 2 x 10 floor are you allowed to drill a 2" hole

Floor joist sizing, [ 6 Answers ]

I have sistered on 2 x 8's to my existing attic floor. It originally was framed with 2 x 4's and then 2 x 6's were sistered along to them. All the 2 x's are resting on the top plate. It feels sturdy enough to lay subflooring onto, but it is a twenty foot span. Will this be adequate?

Drilling holes in floor joist [ 5 Answers ]

Hi ,I want to move a 3" abs ventpipe in a floor space. The floor joists are 2X10 and near the supporting wall .Can I drill the joist? Do I need to use plywood or 2X10 to sister the floor joist to make up for the weakening .thanks bman55golf

View more questions Search