Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dharmatao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Fume-like odor coming from window air conditioner unit
    Just recently my window AC unit started emitting a fume-like, gassy, chemical type odor that gets increasingly stronger if the temperature is set above 72. The smell doesn't seem to match what others have described as strange AC odors and I'm wondering if it dangerous and how to get rid of it. I have to turn it off frequently because the smell will give me a headache and bother my throat. I like to use windows as much as possible but being in the South we are already having 80% humidity days. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated! :)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 09:07 PM
    The best thing to do is disassemble the unit and check for any debris,mold etc. At the same time the motor and other components should be checked to see if they are starting to fail. There is no real simple cure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window air conditioner [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Simplicity 6000 BTU window a/c and the fan has stopped working. If I open it up and spin it with my hand, it will kick in, but stops again after awhile. The compressor and everything else seems to be working.

Window air conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I want to upgrade my air conditioner from an 8,000 BTU 7.5 amp to 10,00 BTU. But My problem is I live in an apartment with fuses the air conditioning line is on a 15 amp fuse. If the a/c is 10,000 BTU and the amps are 9 or 10 will that continually blow out my 15 amp fuse.

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

Window air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

What could be wrong with air conditiioner that won't blow air the power comes on and you can hear it running?

Venting a window air conditioner unit through a fireplace [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a two story town home (plus a basement) with no central air conditioning. I don't own it, so I'm limited as to what I can do. On the 2nd floor I have two window air conditioner units that keep the 2nd floor cool. There are no windows on the first floor only the front door and the...

View more questions Search