Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    falchion3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 09:52 AM
    She just went through a messy breakup
    Recently I asked a coworker out and was given the answer that she had just gone through a messy breakup and was avoiding the dating scene for right now. Now before I get flamed for falling for a line, I had overheard her talking to a coworker a few weeks ago (I wasn't eavesdropping, I happened to walk in on it) and I know that she was telling the truth about recently breaking up. I don't know how long ago the breakup actually occurred.

After that, I basically sent her a message telling her that I wasn't going to keep bugging her about it (didn't want her to think I was a crazed stalker type) and to let me know if she changes her mind and also that we could take it as slow as she wanted, no pressure. I told her that I understood how hard it was to get back into it after a bad breakup. She replied that she would and thanked me for understanding.

Since then, she has talked to me a lot more at work and she's always smiling when we interact. I in turn have turned up the charm and we seem to have more of a connection now than we did when I first asked her out. I just don't know what to do. Should I just give her time and just be my sweet, caring, understanding self in the meantime ? How much time does someone usually need ? I really really like this girl and I don't want to do anything to screw this up. How does one proceed with a person under these circumstances ?

I don't want to keep pestering her about it, I realize in this case that persistence would be my downfall, if she feels pressured then that would be the end of it. But, I also don't want to make the wrong move or wait too long and see her get snatched up by someone else. And what if she's afraid to let me know when she is ready, since women seem to like to work in subtle hints is there any way to tell ? What should I do ? Any honest advice would be greatly appreciated.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 11:00 AM

You sound like you already know what to do but are hoping you are wrong. Yes, just keep being your caring, sweet, understanding self! Lol you just have to be patient. Some people bounce back from relationships fairly quickly, others take a while. It's sounding like she's into you but still not ready to actually date. Give her sometime and then maybe try inviting her to group outings. If you notice that she keeps choosing the seat next to you or making it a point to hang around you in the group settings, then maybe try asking for a date again. But give her plenty of time and let the friendship grow. Enjoy the friendship and any time you start to feel impatient just be glad that you're getting to know her better instead of being her rebound guy. :)

Jun 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I was really hoping to get more than one person's input, but I'll take any advice I can get. I really don't want to screw this up.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:39 AM

Don't pressure her too much because you'll come off as stalkerish. How much time has passed since you first asked her out?

The length of time it take to get over an ex varies from person to person. Plus it also depends on how long they were together.

As for her getting "snatched up by someone else"- well if that happens then that's her choice.

Have you thought inviting her to lunch or coffee? Then it's not quite the same pressure as a "date".
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 12:01 PM

Just keep doing what you are doing. Just keep getting to know her. Don't worry about her getting snatched by another guy. That's out of your control. Just worry about the way you treat her. She knows that you are into her, so she will give you more subtle hints when she's ready.

However, I should point out that it's never a good idea to date a co-worker. So proceed with caution. Be prepared to get transferred to another part of your company or change jobs to avoid possible conflict of interests.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Be friendly co workers and if she is interested when she is ready she will let you know. Doesn't matter if you wait to long as its up to her whom she dates and when. For now she has said she isn't ready so don't push it, that could be messy since your co workers.

I would be waiting for her either as that's as bad as stalking. Look around for other options and opportunities, and not hold your breath for any female that's not ready to date you. You'll find others that will.

Jul 19, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Doesn't want to date right now
    Threads merged for the whole story folks.

When a girl tells you that they are staying out of dating for awhile due to being recently hurt, is there anything that you can do to change their mind ?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 01:12 PM

Tell her to let you know when she is dating again because you are interested in dating.
    She may also have said this because she is just not interested but does not want to offend you.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 04:25 PM

Here's something you can do. Be available, and wait until SHE is ready. If you have to convince her she wants to date you, then she would never be happy with you.
    MissRissa Posts: 68, Reputation: 15

Jul 20, 2009, 01:48 PM

No, there isn't a lot you can do. You can be there for her, but you can't change her mind. You can only wait until she feels like dating all on her own.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 03:22 PM

Be there for her
    Be her friend
    Be a good listener
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by falchion3 View Post
    When a girl tells you that they are staying out of dating for awhile due to being recently hurt, is there anything that you can do to change their mind ?
    Don't let her pull the wool over your eyes, this usually means she just doesn't want to date you. I and many other on here have heard that line quite a few times in our day, and then a month later she has another boyfriend.

Actually, the last girl who said this to me (about nine months ago) is now engaged to her boyfriend she dated about four months after our break-up. That is quite the step for someone who, apparently, wasn't "ready" for a serious relationship.

So no, there isn't much you can do. Keep your pride by forgetting about her and moving on.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 11:07 AM

If she said something like that, chances are she's not interested, but it also leaves the door open.

She already knows how you feel, so if she wanted something to happen, she will let you know.

If she comes to you then great, but no sense waiting around for her. You can't force someone to feel a certain way, it's got to be natural.
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Jul 21, 2009, 11:12 AM

I'm going to have to agree that she probably isn't interested.

Don't try to change her mind. She'll think you're a Creepy McCreeperson.

But this is actually good! Why? Because now you don't have to worry about knowing if she's interested or not, and that means you can move on and find a chick that digs you!

Yay!
    crisluvsu731 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Jul 21, 2009, 11:20 AM
    If you really like this girl, then just wait it out. I have been hurt and I know how that is.

You can't always expect the worse and think she is blowing you off, but don't be naïve either. You will know in time from her signals if she likes you or not.

Go with your heart, best wishes and good luck! ; )
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 11:22 AM

I kind of have to disagree. Yes, I'd say her "mind can be changed".

I have to put that in quotes because that's not really what you need to do.. because the reality most likely isn't that she isn't into dating. It's just that she isn't into dating you... OR, she is, you are just going to have to do a little harder than whatever you did.

Of course she wants someone that isn't going to hurt her but why waste her time on you? Well, there could be a very good reason why.. but you are going to have to show her... somehow.

Granted, that's easier said than done... but doable just the same.
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Jul 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    I kind of have to disagree. Yes, I'd say her "mind can be changed".

I have to put that in quotes because that's not really what you need to do.. because the reality most likely isn't that she isn't into dating. It's just that she isn't into dating you... OR, she is, you are just going to have to do a little harder than whatever you did.

Of course she wants someone that isn't going to hurt her but why waste her time on you? Well, there could be a very good reason why.. but you are going to have to show her... somehow.

Granted, that's easier said than done... but doable just the same.
    Doable, yes, but I'm still sticking with the "Creepy McCreeperson" idea.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrid13 View Post
    Doable, yes, but I'm still sticking with the "Creepy McCreeperson" idea.
    Oh there is DEFINITE potential for that... and unfortunately, that happens all too often. But I guess that's a good thing since we can't just have any creep off the street swooping up damsels in distress.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Messy situation- F1 to H1 to F1, wife H1 to F2 [ 3 Answers ]

I was on F1+OPT in 1999-2001. Then 2001-2006 I was on H1B I went back on F1 in 2006 Graduated in 2008 April and working on OPT since July 2008. My wife was on H1 from 2002-April 2008 1 Till last year (2007) I have always filed 1040 as resident- Married Filing Jointly

I want my ex back but there are messy contributions [ 5 Answers ]

This is how it works. I was with my exfiance for 2yrs and some change. We definitely had our share of relationship problems but overall we weren't that bad off. We've been separated close to a year now and I've done what I can to try and get over him. It hasn't worked. Im to the point where I know...

Messy Divorce In Pennsylvania [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter is in a messy divorce. Her attorney told her whom ever stays in the family home will have custody of the children. Is this true? Her husband is still living in the family home with her and her children. He refuses to leave. He said, If he leave then he is deserting the home. And will...

Messy Roommate [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I am the owner of a house that is in the process of selling. I would love to start showing the house to perspective buyers, but have a roommate that has the messiest room I think I have ever seen, and is never home to clean it. What can I legally do to get this room clean for...

Very messy breakup [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, long time viewer, first time posting anything. My name is T.J. and I'm 19. Ive just recently tried to begin the healing process of a very messy breakup with my 18 yr old ex ( we were together a year almost to the day). One day my sister was saying how she heard my ex had at...

View more questions Search