Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emoela Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Fica Tax Refund
    Hi I'm from the Philippines, my agency told us that we can refund our Fica Taxes if we are not going to exceed 183 days here in United States counting from January 2009.
    I'm pregnant , my due date is next week (and my agency told me that I need to book my flight or go back to our country on June 30 midnight or else I cannot refund my Fica.
    Is there any exemption to the rule or any forms that I need to provide my agency about my Fica tax refund. Because surely I will be going back to my country after the papers of my baby are filed.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 02:14 AM

Which visa do you have? When did you enter the U.S.

Jun 9, 2009, 01:53 PM
    I'm holding a J1 visa and entered U.S last July 25, 2007.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 01:25 AM

On J1 visa you are exempt from residency for two years. For 2007 and 2008, your income is not subject to FICA taxes.
    Employer was not expected to withhold FICA taxes. Now you must first write to your employer for refund of these taxes. You need a letter from the employer that they can not refund it now.
    File Form 843 with IRS. Read about filing Form 843: Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual

Jun 10, 2009, 06:01 AM
    When do I have to file form843? I'm leaving by July 1, 2009. Do I need to wait for my w2 next year to file my refund? And in case my baby's paper will not be release before july1, and I need to extend my stay... is their any changes in procedures to get my refund?:confused:
    So, the refund that I will get from jan. 2009 to june30 , 2009... will be filed next year 2010?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 07:40 AM
    If you cannot get the refund from your employer, you will have to wait until January 2010 to file the Form 843, because you need the Form W-2 as one of the support forms for the Form 843.

Work with your employer to get the refund from him. It is pretty clear that FICA taxes should not have been withheld in the first place, and getting a refund via the employer should not be that difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 student OPT and FICA tax refund [ 6 Answers ]

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I am a student on an F-1 student visa, currently on OPT and planning on filing for an OPT extension under the STEM rule. Under OPT, both social security and medicare taxes have been withheld. I have been in the US since 2001 as a non-resident alien,...

Calculation of FICA refund [ 1 Answers ]

I came to the US on F1 in Aug 2005, I was on OPT from Oct 2007-Oct2008. I joined my current place of work in Nov 2007. My company withheld social security and medicare taxes in 2008. I know I am FICA exempt for the first 9 months in 2008, hence I should get a refund. I asked my company for the...

OPT SS and Medicare Tax refund (fica) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, While I was doing my OPT from 3/2006 through 10/2006 my employer deducted SS and Medicare taxes. I filed my 2006 tax return not knowing that I could get SS and Medicare back. What steps do I need to take now that its 2008 and my 06 tax return has been filed and completed? Can I still...

FICA refund [ 2 Answers ]

I filed my refund forms 843 for 2006 and 2007 in April 2008 for SSN and medicare which were withheld in error. I received a letter from the IRS asking me to give them 45 days to process my refund. However, I have received another letter from the IRS asking me to give them another 45 days to...

FICA Tax Refund [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen with my H1B status starting from October 2007. MY OPT status was in between December 2006-December 2007. My Employer deducted SSN and Medicare Taxes for the whole of 2007. Now, I need to get the money back. What form should I fill to get the refund directly from IRS? I...

View more questions Search