Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DenisAdams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Wiring old lamp
    I have an old lamp which has a switch at top that turns on a light on top and a light in the glass body of the lamp. I have I put in a new cord and have the light on top working, but there is a black and a white wire for the lamp's body light. I only have one screw for both wires... does anyone know which wire goes to the screw? And what do I do with the extra wire? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 01:05 PM

Both a black and a white must go to each light fixture. If you can post a picture I might be able to help you better. Are you saying the bulb in the lamp body has only one screw on its socket?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 04:12 PM

Is it a roll switch or flip switch?

Chuck
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2009, 06:17 AM

Some lamps have 2 sets of lights that require a switch with 3 connections, 1 for power, another for 1 set of lights, and another connection for second set of lights.
    Mjonesc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
    The socket has three places to connect and 4 wires
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Sep 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
    I think you responded to the wrong thread... PIC?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    I think you responded to the wrong thread... PIC?
    This post was 3 years ago!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a lamp [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a box made of children's block with several spaces between the blocks with a solid base and a hinged top with security hasp which can be locked. I plan to install a lamp stem and socket to the top and a small socket inside for a night light. I need to know how to install a...

Wiring lamp with two lights [ 1 Answers ]

My wife bought a lamp with 2 lights; a small one in the bottom and a regular one on top. The socket for the top bulb needed to be replaced. I finally found the socket. It has 3 connections on it. I have to connect 4 wires to it. ( the regular lamp wire and a black wire and white wire from the...

Wiring a 3 way lamp [ 3 Answers ]

I am rewiring an old electrical hurricane lamp that has a small bulb in the bottom part and a regular bulb in the top. The appliance has 3 connector poles (one copper and two silver). What wires go where? There are two wires, one connected to the outlet and one from the small bult in the bottom...

Wiring T-stat to control heat lamp [ 14 Answers ]

I would like to heat an area (128cf with no moving air) using a 1500W heat lamp(s). I would also like to control the temp. inside this space with a standard home T-stat. mounted inside the area being heated. I understand the T-stat uses 24v while the heat source is 120v. I would also like to add a...

View more questions Search