Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike-e-mike330 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Theft under 5000$
    I stole 500$ from tim hortons when I worked a 4 hour shift and I got arrested. I have to go to court for my first appearance soon and I'm afraid of getting a jail sentence! Its my first ever criminal offence. Do you think jail will be likely for me?
    Onlyoneredhead Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 11:58 AM

In my state $550.00 is considered a felony. Under is considered misdemeanor, which carries either a sentence and repayment. You may have to pay restitution (which means you pay the money back and usually end up on probation until it is paid back + court costs+probation fees.

Jun 4, 2009, 12:05 PM
    I live in Ontario Canada, and I am only 18 years old. Im afraid that even though this is my first offence, I've read that the judge does not take lightly to theft from employer. Do you think Jail Sentence is a high risk for me?
    Onlyoneredhead Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 12:08 PM

I do not know anything about Canadian law. However were you arrested and how long were you in jail before you bonded out? Sometimes Judges tend to give time served.

Jun 4, 2009, 12:10 PM
    I was only arrested and have yet to make my first court appearance. I have never been in jail or convicted of a criminal offence besides this one.
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2009, 05:31 AM

Hey there, yes you are correct theft from employer is taken very seriously in Ontario and therefore unlikely to get the diversion program. In most cases, theft from employer make get a conditional discharge if it is your first offence but I believe you should get a lawyer for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft Over $5000 over the age of 19 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. Im stumped. Im sure you get this a lot, people coming on and stating that they are sorry and have changed there ways. Well I am going to say that also. But its true I have relocated myself to an area where I can not get in trouble, where I am working full-time and just being a good...

Theft under $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

All right I am 17 and I have just been caught by my employer for stealing money over the past 4 months. Now I have probably only stolen about $200-250 dollars and I am just wondering what type of punishment I am probably bound to receive.

View more questions Search