Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afgarcia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
    In ca want to know about giving up parental rites
    I live in California and would like to know if there's a legal way to give up parental rites to a child to its mother. Both the mother and I agree its in the best interest of the child. She wants no part of me in her's or the child's life and I will not pursue her or the child.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 05:27 AM

There are about a thousdand posts on this exact topic. The answer: no - unless someone is adopting the child, there is no reasonable way.

If you agree that being in the child's life isn't good for it, then don't be in it. That doesn't mean you should be absolved of supporting it though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2009, 06:03 AM

As Steve noted, a few minutes brwosing through the threads here or reading the Sticky note on the issue posted at the top of the forum, would have answered your question.

Parental rights can only be taken by a court and a court will not grant their termination unless there is another person willing to take over that role. They will never grant it just to allow a parent out of paying support.

You can't be forced to be a part of your child's life, but you can be forced to provide financial support for that child.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afgarcia View Post
    i live in california and would like to know if theres a legal way to give up parental rites to a child to its mother. both the mother and i agree its in the best interest of the child. she wants no part of me in her's or the child's life and i will not pursue her or the child.
    As others have said, you can't do it:

"A court cannot enter a judgment terminating parental rights based solely upon the parties' stipulation that the child's mother or father relinquishes those rights. (Kristine M. v. David P. (2006) 135 Cal.App.4th 783, 791 [37 Cal.Rptr.3d 748] [“the public policies favoring creation of a father-child relationship as a source of emotional and financial support … trump any policy that would favor private ordering of parenthood after the birth of a child”]"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my parental rites without spending a lot of money [ 8 Answers ]

How do I get my parental rites without spending a lot of money that I don't have anyway.

Giving up parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My14 year old daughter wants to move to canada to live with her grandad (my dad) and finish her schooling over there but I have to give up my rights to do this , but I don't no where to start can anyone help

Giving up parental right. [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for six years. He has a seven year old son by a previous relationship. We have a three year old daughter together. He pays over six hundred dollars a month for his son. The mother is still not satisfied. She got married and had another child this year and she has...

Giving up parental right [ 8 Answers ]

I live in TX and so does my ex she wants to take me off the birth certificate of HER 6 year old son not mine I just signed the certificate not knowing at the time and Im willing to let her do so what is the proper protocol for this situation:D

View more questions Search