Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kims4369 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 04:40 PM
    Assaulted at work then fired
    I was sexually assaulted at work by my employers friend, who was there to train me in software use. The man owns/owned his own separate company. He was charged with sexual misconduct, and 3 counts of harassment. I have been having panic attacks and went to the doctor, who took me off work and referred me to a psychiatrist who is currently treating me with meds and counceling. My employer claims I quit my job even though I sent written documentation from doctor, refused to file a workers comp case and has been a jerk about the entire thing. On May 6th the man that assaulted me plead guilty to all four counts in municipal court. My question is do I have a lawsuit against the company outside of the workers comp issue, which I do have a lawyer working on now? Also, how would I go about suing the man that assaulted me? I have lost so much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2009, 05:21 PM

First of course if the company will not file a workers comp claim you are responsible for contacting them and filing your own wihin the required guidelines.

If the assault happened on work property, I would say you have a law suit first against the person and his company that assulated you, and also against your company.
    ** based on what you have told us, but can depend on the exact level of panic ( very subjective)
    felonouschick Posts: 33, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 16, 2009, 10:15 PM

Sounds like unlawful termination. I would check to see if there are any attorneys in your area that handle "Employment Law". Also, reading over the FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) couldn't hurt. That is the Federal Act, you'll also want to check your local laws(if there are any on that subject) for you state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Assaulted in Detroi! [ 1 Answers ]

On May 17th around 10:30 pm my husband, two of our friend and I were standing in line to use the bathroom. Two men started arguing I was standing about 8 feet away and was unable to here what they were saying. I looked over and saw about 7 men surrounding my husband. I saw my husbands hands up in...

Hurt at work fired hour later for something else [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having major issues with a new boss. Today at work someone mopped out a freezer unknown to me and the floor was a sheet of ice and islipped and my back is in severe pain. While I was filling out my first report of injury my boss came in and fired me for a non related issue can I still...

Fired from work but statement on termnation paper was a lie [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in North Carolina which is an at will state. But one thing that I would like to know I was given the termnation paper signed and dated with worl logo and mangers singature but the statement was a complete false statement. I called the owner and ask for a meeting she meet with me and said that...

Sexually assaulted and really confused [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone on this site has been sexually assaulted by a stranger. I was two months ago while I was traveling in Europe I cut my traveling short because of it. I've tried to find information on the way people act after and basically have found out everyone acts differently. I'm...

View more questions Search