Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Landerv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 05:00 AM
    Error on shutdown!
    Hey,

When I try to shutdown my computer it gives an error message (it's in dutch so I'l try to translate it)

Owner.exe DLL initialization failed or if someone knows dutch eigenaar.exe DLL initialisatie mislukt.

Does anyone know how I could solve this problem or what is causing it?

Thanks for any response
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 05:14 AM

There's a DLL (Dynamic Link Library) that is responsible for the error. Unfortunately, without more information, it's not possible to say what's causing it.

Download Autoruns from Microsoft:

Autoruns for Windows

Install and launch this program on the computer. When you run it, click on the "Logon" tab. This represents everything that is being loaded at run time. You can uncheck the programs half at a time and then restart the computer. When you shut the computer down a second time (if this happens every time the computer is shut down -- one can only hope), if the error goes away, you'll have some information on what program is causing the problem. Once you pin it down to one program, you can uninstall that program and possibly reinstall it. This should fix the problem. If reinstallation doesn't fix the problem, you can contact the company that sells the program and ask them to fix the problem.

May 21, 2009, 05:28 AM

Does it matter which programs I uncheck or will it cause any more problems if I uncheck them? Cause I'm not so good at PC stuff
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 06:10 AM
    There will be several sections when you click "Logon". Anything in these four sections may be unchecked.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name here]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

My computer, for example, also has the following sections with only one program listed in each category. If you see something different, you should be careful. You may post the name here and let us look at it.

This section contains only one item:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
    Explorer.exeWindows Explorer Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\explorer.exe

Never uncheck "Explorer.exe" or your system won't work.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd\StartupPrograms
    rdpclipRDP Clip Monitor Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\rdpclip.exe

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exeUserinit Logon Application Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

If ever you're in doubt about what a program is, right-click on the program name and select "Search Online". That name will be passed to your default search provider (I use Google) and you'll be able to look up information on the program.

May 21, 2009, 06:15 AM

OK thanks
    I unchecked "Eigenaar.exe" and "(default)" in
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Then I shutdown my PC and my PC was faster in shutdown but I still saw the error message flash very quickly. But would this be the thing that's causing it?
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 06:37 AM

If the error message flashed at all, then you haven't found the right program. However, the fact that the PC ran faster is also quite interesting. I'm not sure what Eigenaar.exe is, but it's consuming a lot of clock time. If you don't need it, leave it unchecked.

I don't know what the (default) was. Is there anything on the line along with (default)? I don't have anything like that on my computer(s).

May 21, 2009, 06:42 AM
    This is what it says about (default)
    File not found: C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\.exe/i

And about "eigenaar.exe"
    c:\documents and settings\eigenaar\eigenaar.exe

OK I'll uncheck more programs to see if it flashed then
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 08:14 AM

Since the "(default) line says "File not found", you can delete it (right-click on it). It's not doing anything. It's probably from a previous installation of Eigenaar.

If you decide that Eigenaar is doing something weird, uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Out of the four methods to uninstall it, use the "Moderate" or the "Advanced" method of uninstallation.

Then download a copy of CCleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ (download from FileHippo is fastest)

Run the "Cleaner" function, and then run the "Registry" function. Fix issues (create a backup on your desktop in case of problems). Delete everything that it found. Run the registry cleaner again -- it'll find more junk, and again save another backup file and delete everything. Do it a third time -- Usually nothing is found on a third try except possibly something that shows up every time you scan it whether you delete it or not.

After running CCleaner, as stated above, reinstall Eigenaar. It should be "clean" then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer is unable to shutdown and has a Winlogon.exe error [ 3 Answers ]

My computer is unable to shutdown properly since Monday, the 11th of February. I am turning off the power to shutdown. I've got an error "Winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close." every time I log in but not sure if this is the error caused by not shutting down properly. This...

Shutdown error [ 1 Answers ]

When I click the turn off icon it takes a long time to shutdown

Windows Shutdown Error [ 3 Answers ]

When I attempt to shutdown I get an error which flashes up then disappears. I then have to manually shutdown. This is the error message: Autodet.exe dll initialization failed Thanks for any assistance

Error Message and Shutdown in Outlook Express 6 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Ever since I did an EZ Armor Virus Scan and Spyware Scan (and Spybot), I'm getting errors that cause applications to shut down in Outlook Express and Word. The one I just got says Outlook Express FolderSync Window Class: msimn.exe - Application Error. The exception unknown software...

View more questions Search