Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windmillgal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Daughter died and father wants to give the kids to grandmother
    My daughter died a few weeks ago in a terrible wreck. The kids, age 12 and 10, have not seen their father in over 7 years. So he said I the grandmother, who has seen them as much as I can, whu=ich is a lot, but the father said he would sign what ever he needs to sign for me to be able to raise them. Do I need custody or guardianship? I do not have the money to hire a lawyer and need to know if there is a paper he can sign and I can record in the court. The kids live in New MExico, I live in Texas and father lives in Michigan.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2009, 05:41 PM

He can't sign his rights over to you unless you agree to adopt. However, he should be able to give you guardianship.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 07:14 PM

A guardianship is what you need. In fact, this what guardianships are ideally for. The dad can sign a consent to the guardianship and that will make things easy.

The tricky part is where to file. New Mexico technically has jurisdiction but if the kids came and lived with you you could probably file in Texas-- if the kids have no one taking care of them in New Mexico, Texas certainly could assert temporary emergency jurisdiction and eventually get jurisdiction by virtue of the kids being with you.

It should be pretty straightforward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother deceased grandmother wants legal coustdy father is on parole [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is deceased and livied with my mother for years now wats legal coustdy father of kids is on parole form severing prison time

Custodial grandmother being harassed by daughter for custody [ 1 Answers ]

I have had legal temporary custody of my two grandchildren for over 3 1/2 years, and they were living with me for almost a year prior to that without any paperwork. DFAC in Toombs Co GA placed them in my care for almost a year before I received custody which was a temporary order because the mother...

Grandmother is refusing to give back custody. [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is refusing to give back custody of my son even though I know have my life back on track. I signed him over to her when he was 4 months old because I was into drugs and my choice of boyfriends wasn't great. I have been asking for him back for the last 2 years, yet she keeps coming up with...

Disrespectful 27 old daughter and grandmother [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 27 year old daughter that is bipolar, still in college and 2 kids. Her father and I divorced when she was 5. Her father was an alcoholic and died when she was 15 due to liver complications. I have been the only constant in her life besides my parents. I have tried to raise her and...

Mother/Daughter conflict over sick grandmother [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. My mother who is not handling it well at all, continues to deny that she is going to die and behaves as if everything is going to be OK. In doing so, she continues to call me for every little, umimportant thing (not relative to her...

View more questions Search