Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spoilthedog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Mother deceased grandmother wants legal coustdy father is on parole
    My sister is deceased and livied with my mother for years now wats legal coustdy father of kids is on parole form severing prison time
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spoilthedog
    my sister is deceased and livied with my mother for years now wats legal coustdy father of kids is on parole form severing prison time

I think you are saying that your sister is deceased; she and her children lived with her/your mother; who has legal custody of your sister's children. Their father is on parole.

Legal custody flows to the parents first so unless there is a Court Order that says something else, custody is with the father. The fact that he is on parole does not make him an unfit father in the eyes of the Court - or probably anyone else.

You or your mother can, of course, go to Court and try to get this changed.
    debbyrd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Legal custody flows to the parents first so unless there is a Court Order that says something else, custody is with the father. The fact that he is on parole does not make him an unfit father in the eyes of the Court - or probably anyone else.

I understand that, but (in Texas) the situation with me is that my daughter is extremely ill. She has primary custody of her 2 sons, she and her ex have not divorced. She is on disablity and cannot afford one right now, although she is trying. They have been physically separated for 3 years.

She and the boys live with me. When the time comes that custody will need to be determined, I am curious to see how the courts could possibly determine that the boys would be better off with the father.

Given his very lengthy criminal history, he is also not working, lives part time with his mother and -part time with his girlfriend, no driver's license... how on EARTH could he be better at supporting his kids when I have a full time job and a house?

I am just so frustrated...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by debbyrd View Post
    I understand that, but (in Texas) the situation with me is that my daughter is extremely ill. She has primary custody of her 2 sons, she and her ex have not divorced. She is on disablity and cannot afford one right now, although she is trying. They have been physically separated for 3 years.

She and the boys live with me. When the time comes that custody will need to be determined, I am curious to see how the courts could possibly determine that the boys would be better off with the father.

Given his very lengthy criminal history, he is also not working, lives part time with his mother and -part time with his girlfriend, no driver's license...how on EARTH could he be better at supporting his kids when I have a full time job and a house?

I am just so frustrated...

Believe me, I understand your upset and frustration. Sometimes the legal system just seems so unfair.

The basic situation is that the father is entitled to attempt to prove that he is not a danger to the children. The key word is "danger." He may be a low life but that doesn't make him a bad father - although I do agree the two often go together.

It will all come down to proof. Hopefully the Court will do a psych evaluation on EVERYBODY, including the children, and that will also enter into the final decision.

Again, I understand your upset - I've never said the system is always fair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased mother debit [ 3 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away. The only thing in her estate is a car that she owes a personal debit on for it. The title is in her name. Do I have to pay the debit off.

Is it legal for a mother to claim taxes when child lives with father [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine has had custody of his son for two years and each tax year he tries to claim son it says the mother already has. How does he fix this and can he get refunded?

Debt of deceased mother [ 2 Answers ]

My mother passed away with a large credit card debt and very little assets. Would I be held responsible and would can the creditor take me to court?

Jmariep -- wife of one, mother of five, grandmother of fifteen [ 1 Answers ]

Can an attorney decide to charge a fee for a fact-finding consultation? The understanding was that the initial consultation was free. We needed to see if this attorney handled what we needed and then we'd make a decision as to whether we would use this attorney or look further. We took a list...

Mother/Daughter conflict over sick grandmother [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. My mother who is not handling it well at all, continues to deny that she is going to die and behaves as if everything is going to be OK. In doing so, she continues to call me for every little, umimportant thing (not relative to her...

View more questions Search