Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ezlyamused1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 09:32 AM
    After parental rights are terminated.
    Hi. I have a friend whose husband agreed with the mother of his child to terminate all parental rights, and did so some years ago (in North Carolina). They have heard from a mutual friend that she is making noises about taking him back to court in an effort to receive child support from him. Is this possible after his parental rights have already been legally terminated? Thanks much.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 09:34 AM

I highly doubt his rights were legally terminated unless the kid was adopted by her husband.

Edited to add: if the child WAS adopted, he is absolved of his support requirement. Chances are though, there was nothing legal done to terminate his rights since this is a highly unlikely thing for a court to do without major cause like him being a convicted child molester.

May 13, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Actually he did it twice. Once nearthe beginning, per the mother's request, he signed the papers she provided. Then again, when the child started school at age five, to change the child's last name to match that of the mother's new husband, he had to go through it again and sign more papers. It is believed the original papers were not notarized or filed correctly and that is why he had to go through it again. He did this as he thought it was in the best interest of the child, who is now eleven, and he has not seen or had contact with in 8 years.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ezlyamused1 View Post
    Actually he did it twice. Once nearthe beginning, per the mother's request, he signed the papers she provided. Then again, when the child started school at age five, to change the child's last name to match that of the mother's new husband, he had to go through it again and sign more papers. It is believed the original papers were not notarized or filed correctly and that is why he had to go through it again. He did this as he thought it was in the best interest of the child, who is now eleven, and he has not seen or had contact with in 8 years.
    That's not terminating his rights. That sounds more like he gave her full custody without visitation. That is very different than terminating his rights.

Your friend will very likely be subject to paying support and it sounds a lot like he was duped into believing the child's mother's lies/misinformation. It is also possible that he confused giving up custody with giving up rights.

May 13, 2009, 11:54 AM

I've told him he better find a copy of whatever he signed and make sure he knows what it is. It was her that wanted him to do this to begin with - he fought at the beginning for visitation and did pay support until she started returning his checks and refusing to schedule time for visits. (She lives two states away.) He is not sure if the child was legally adopted by the step-father or not. Thanks very much for your time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ezlyamused1 View Post
    Actually he did it twice. Once nearthe beginning, per the mother's request, he signed the papers she provided. Then again, when the child started school at age five, to change the child's last name to match that of the mother's new husband, he had to go through it again and sign more papers.
    What I suspect happened was she got a form someplace (probably online) and had him sign that. She then took it to court and the court told her they won't grant a TPR even if they both want it. So she just dropped it without telling him.

Then, when the kid started school, she wanted a name change so she sent him more papers. Now, depending on how she did this, he may have just agreed to the name change and not to terminating his rights.

Courts are VERY reluctant to grant TPRs and will generally do so only to clear the way for an adoption or to protect the child from the parent.

He needs to contact Family Court where they lived and ask for any cases involving the child. He needs to know exactly what was done.

If, in the unlikely event that his rights were terminated, then he will not be subject to child support (see GS_7B-1112). A TPR in NC terminates both rights and obligations. Another reason a court was unlikely to have issued a TPR.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 12:34 PM

But even if somehow his rights were terminated by the court, yes it is very possible that he will still owe support, only when there is an adoption does the obligation go away, rights and obligations are two separate issues

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regaining custody after parental rights were terminated [ 3 Answers ]

I lost my child to the state of Washington 3 years ago and my aunt has adopted him, she is from another state and she now is very ill and can not care for him any longer, since I lost him I have completely turned my life around and am now married, raising 2 step children that live with me full...

Rights of mother who's parental rights have been terminated [ 5 Answers ]

I am engaged to a man who is divorced and has a 3.5 year old son. The birth mother signed over parental rights in the 12th Judicial Circuit in Florida in Nov 2006 and has not seen her son since then. We are looking into filing the adoption paperwork a year after we marry so that I am legally...

Can my ex's parental rights be terminated on the cause of abandonment? [ 3 Answers ]

Can I get my ex's parental rights terminated? I have not heard from him since he moved almost 2 years ago. He moves all the time and owes over $7500 in back child support. Sometimes I receive payments and can go months without payments. The fights with the courts go on and on and just as soon as...

Terminated parental rights/adoption [ 10 Answers ]

I need some advice or direction in regards to my parental rights being terminated and my daughter being adopted. Do I have any rights? What can I do? Is there any hope? I miss my daughter. Please help me

Can I have my daughter's biological fathers parental rights terminated? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father and I were never married. When I was in a relationship with her father he was abusive. He has had little to nothing to do with her in her whole life. She doesn't even remember him. He is constintly in and out of jail and the reason I know this is because...

View more questions Search