Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angela76wa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Regaining custody after parental rights were terminated
    I lost my child to the state of Washington 3 years ago and my aunt has adopted him, she is from another state and she now is very ill and can not care for him any longer, since I lost him I have completely turned my life around and am now married, raising 2 step children that live with me full time, I am clean and sober, and live a positive life she would like to give him back to me rather then pass him off to another relative who is in no way fit to care for him. My son and I are very close and he would LOVE to come live with me, but I am scared the state would take him away if they found out. He was never abused, I was a drug addict and went to jail and lost the fight with cps... my question is is it legal for her to give him back?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 06:06 AM

If you want to fight for custody, then get a lawyer. Prepare to fight long and hard for it.

You can not just hand a child back and forth legally. There must be guardianship papers, parental rights, SOMETHING--because you need these things in order to have a child enroll in school, see a doctor--dozens of things.

So... if you want to regain custody, I'd get a lawyer to do so.
    angela76wa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    if you want to fight for custody, then get a lawyer. Prepare to fight long and hard for it.

You can not just hand a child back and forth legally. There must be guardianship papers, parental rights, SOMETHING--because you need these things in order to have a child enroll in school, see a doctor--dozens of things.

So...if you want to regain custody, I'd get a lawyer to do so.

Yes I figured as much, I wasn't sure if she is allowed to sign custody back over to me, that is what she was hoping for. The state is not involved anymore so she thought ity was up to her. She's going through kemo and radiation and is not doing well at all so we are trying to prepare for the worst. Thanks for your help!
    tysakota Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 04:29 PM
    Just wondering what ever happened with this.. I have a similar situation except I have my boys back and have had them for 3yrs now.. although legally they are adopted by a family member

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Rights Vs Full Custody [ 2 Answers ]

What Does It Mean To Give Up Your Parental Rights And Is It The Same As Full Custody?

Terminated parental rights/adoption [ 10 Answers ]

I need some advice or direction in regards to my parental rights being terminated and my daughter being adopted. Do I have any rights? What can I do? Is there any hope? I miss my daughter. Please help me

Can I have my daughter's biological fathers parental rights terminated? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father and I were never married. When I was in a relationship with her father he was abusive. He has had little to nothing to do with her in her whole life. She doesn't even remember him. He is constintly in and out of jail and the reason I know this is because...

Child custody and parental rights. [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to file for divorce and custody of my nine year old son. The father of my son has not been in his life for over 4 years. I am not wanting to get child support if I don't have to however I am wanting him to give up his paternal rights to him. He is nothing but an alcoholic and my son...

Regaining Parental Rights [ 4 Answers ]

Can you get your parenal rights back after terminating them? If so how? The father of my child and I relinquished our parental rights in order for his mom to legally adopt her to avoid any custody battle that may have caused her emotional distress. I still physically have my daughter and care for...

View more questions Search